Wey Hey Finally Got One But Need Some Advice!

iconic

Hi guys, after kissing lots of frogs i got my 315R princess :wacko:

I have been looking on and off for a couple of months for a cheapie but reasonable 315R and placed a wanted ad on here, and managed to buy one from one of the calls, which all seem to be from the Leeds area , 4 hours+ away for me so took two days off and saw as many as I could in the those 2 days! I wavered at times and saw few gasser Pro's but they all seemed to be just plain worn out, baggy and loose and as tatty as can be. Every dealer I spoke with told me the same thing, if I going for a first cheap trials bike get the Monty so hopefully this advice will work out to be correct.

My Monty was only to be used to improve my Hare and hound skills but this trials thing is so much fun, couldn't leave it alone last night so I thinking I may as well join a club and do a few trials...do they have an over 40's class for newbie wobblers in the Maidstone area?

.....but before I bought my 315 what I saw would make your eyes weep...missing VIN numbers on more than one, one with the mains hanging out so much it made my fillings loose and one advertised as a registered '04 but with '02 VIN numbers.... work that one out etc! It was always going to be hard to find something tidy for that money but I got an '03 yesterday from a proper decent guy who even gave me a few spares, oil etc but I did leave my bag of wiring loom, lights and other bits and bobs up North....so I need to arrange some post if I can find his tel number which I can't at the moment!

Anyway everything works, no bodges, very honest and I'm very pleased with her , no real issues but this is an old bike so they all need a few quid and few hours on them with a little TLC so I do have couple of Monty newbie questions...

1/ All of the Montys I have seen seem to like a dragging clutch....do I fit new Honda plates or go for something else...seems to be a very a common problem with these 315R's, I can ride thru it (hey I had a EC-200 gasser!) but is there a 100% cure?

2/ I'm embarrased to say I can't find the air filter ...I'm assuming it's under the 8mm bolt securing the seat but what happens next to gain acess to it, I don't wish to break anything!

3/ 80:1 petroil mix yes?

4/ Erm, where is the coolant filler cap?

Any other 'new' bike tips very welcome indeed guys

many thanks for any help

Anyway everything works, no bodges, very honest and I'm very pleased with her , no real issues but this is an old bike so they all need a few quid and few hours on them with a little TLC so I do have couple of Monty newbie questions...

02 is an "old bike"?

<goes out to console the bikes in the garage who must now think they are mummies...>

hi,

il try to help you,

1/ my cluch drags. do an oil change with a decent make of transmision oil. sae 75w, 500ml if this doesnt help you might need a new cluch.

2/remove the rear mudguard and underneth there is two 10mm bolts. remove them and..................... air filter!

3/80:1 + 75:1 is fine

4/remove the tank and towards the top of the radiator is the cap.

hope this helps

have fun :wacko:

max

Many thanks guys for the heads up on the advice...

..........checked air filter clean as a whistle but cleaned and oiled anyway!

......ordered a new clutch pack from Haven Sport, nice guy I spoke with, so hopefully my clutch will be sweet as a nut, although it's not too bad at the moment once warm............................................................. but I need all the help to control this bike, god this thing pulls like a stream train!

again many thanks guys

Edited by iconic

I've had a couple of 315's and both broke rear spokes at some point. They are two piece, so are easy to change, but it is worth having a look.

I often used to ride whole trials using 1st gear in every section. (Although it must be said, they were easy trials!) Kept second for big climbs and third for mountains.

Hopefully Dad will see this post later and give you a few tips, he had a 315 for 27 years and knows everything there is about them. Pretty sure Boyesens work really well in them and i think he changed the front brake master cylinder as well as other mods.