Txt 270 Head Spacer/ Flywheel Weight

martin 305

Hi Martin,

There are kits available for the PRO range but I don't think any exist for the older motors. The 270 was a fairly quick responding motor, you can improve this with the following mods:

Change needle to D-34, bit richer on the bottom end

Black tube slow action throttle

Retard the ign slightly.

You can easily fit 2 x 0.5mm extra base gaskets to reduce the compression, though this does raise the exhaust port which is not the best thing to do, it does provide you with a more tractable motor. Standard gasket thickness is dictated by piston height in the bore, usually a 0.5 plus a 0.3 and maybe 1 or 2 x 0.15 brown paper gaskets.

A friend made up a flywheel weight for his 270 and then needed to use 2 flywheel covers to make up an extended cover to fit over the weight, didn't look so good.

Good luck, PeterB.

Hi Martin,

There are kits available for the PRO range but I don't think any exist for the older motors. The 270 was a fairly quick responding motor, you can improve this with the following mods:

Change needle to D-34, bit richer on the bottom end

Black tube slow action throttle

Retard the ign slightly.

You can easily fit 2 x 0.5mm extra base gaskets to reduce the compression, though this does raise the exhaust port which is not the best thing to do, it does provide you with a more tractable motor. Standard gasket thickness is dictated by piston height in the bore, usually a 0.5 plus a 0.3 and maybe 1 or 2 x 0.15 brown paper gaskets.

A friend made up a flywheel weight for his 270 and then needed to use 2 flywheel covers to make up an extended cover to fit over the weight, didn't look so good.

Good luck, PeterB.

Thanks for your help :wacko: , i have a slow action throttle and that does make some difference .Ihave just had a top end re build and cylinder replate, now having trouble keeping the front end on the deck ,spoke to GG uk today and they suggested 10t/42t gearing as i am runing 11/41 at the moment do you think this would help? <_< Iam a novice rider i know that most people think this bike is not suitable for novices but i love the bike and think the txt is just about bomb proof .It just seems to have way more power now .cheers martin

Boysen power reeds can also help make it more user friendly. My 1997 270 had a little "hit" or step in the powerband just a bit up off of idle. The Boysens smoothed it right out.

Thanks i will track some reeds down and give em a go ;) martin