Bearing Removal

anotherfive

Hi

Does anyone have any tips for removing the following types of bearings

1. Wheelbearings On my beta there is a sleeve between the two bearings that acts on the inner race to reduce side loads when the spindle is tightened up.Without brute force is there a way of pulling the bearings out from the outside instead of kocking them from the inside.The spacer tube always gets slightly damaged doing it this way and does not want to move to one side so you can tap the bearing.

2.Suspension rose joint. Not easy to remove without damaging the alloy of the shocker body

Thanks and hoping for any help you may have

I always get an old screw driver in from the other side for the wheel bearings. Bit of a push against the sleeve should move it easily and hit the bearing. Shouldn't do any damage to the sleeve.

Most other bearings I can push out in the vice with a big socket one side that the bearing will push in to and a small socket the other side near enough same size as the bearing.

For nasty stuck bearings, nicest way of getting bearing out is with a hydraulic press. Not always easy to find, but if you hunt around locally should find one, bit of heat if needed.

If ever I can't shift a bearing, I'm lucky, I have a MIG welder. Especially if the outer bearing race gets stuck (when the inner race and bearings fall apart) I simply weld a long old bolt to the race and then use the bolt as a drift. The heat from the weld also helps to loosen things off.

• 3 weeks later...

For wheel bearings I always heat up the hub first with boiling water. Usually knock out the bearing with a drift as the inner sleeve does tend to move a bit to allow this. If not, use a bearing puller, with an expanding inner cone that grips the bearing inner race and allows a slide hammer that screws into the end of the cone to be used to shock out the bearing.

With the rear shock, again use boiling water on the housing then use a socket against the bearing to allow the bearing to be squeezed out in a vise, place a larger socket to clear the OD of the bearing.

Bye, PeterB.