Beta Stator Problems

frontroomautos

Indeed Scorpa3, I dont find that at all acceptable. If only Beta knew how many sales they have lost, Two of my friends would have been Beta buyers but one says he will go with Scorpa because of thier quality & the other Sherco. We would have all liked to support Beta, we love the bikes looks and ergos but who wants the irritation and cost of an unreliable bike, it kills the fun stone dead, especially when you have paid good money for a new bike.

I would like to say otherwise but the facts are clear.

Lets see if they have finally, after all these years bothered to make the 08 bike what it could have been 5 or more years ago? I'll only ever know from others report in the near future. God knows how long the evolutionary improvements will take with their 4T, I'd never have the confidence to buy one and find out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my ignorance :blink:

but don't all makes have their own problems?

I totally agree with frontroomautos,the rev3 is a nice bike to ride but the stator fault will leave you with a dead bike in the middle of a trial.

I have vivid memories of helping to push a dead rev3 over the boggy moors and the conversation with the owner revealed it was on it's 3rd stator in a year.

All bikes have their faults but I would rather have one that runs sick rather than one that quits.

Yes i agree the example you gave has been all too familiar with my findings from talking to other people and reading others experiences. Yes all bikes can cause problems but this is a fundamental floor which has unfortunately, seemingly become synonymous with the manufacturers name with allot of potential buyers and previous customers. It seems to have caused allot of people unecessary expense, inconvienience & a ruined trial that cant in most cases be blamed on the owners maintainance routines.

From all these comments about it STILL being a problem I presume we all know of at least, say 3+ 2007 bikes that have had this fault?

Personally not even heard of many '06 bikes with an issue definatley not a single fault with an '07 bike, perhaps the 2008 will be better again, but from were I'm standing this is a bit of kit built on the limits for competition reasons in all weathers and conditions, and to be fair at not a huge cost brand new..... Should we all really expect every part on our bikes to last 3 years plus?

From all these comments about it STILL being a problem I presume we all know of at least, say 3+ 2007 bikes that have had this fault?

Personally not even heard of many '06 bikes with an issue definatley not a single fault with an '07 bike, perhaps the 2008 will be better again, but from were I'm standing this is a bit of kit built on the limits for competition reasons in all weathers and conditions, and to be fair at not a huge cost brand new..... Should we all really expect every part on our bikes to last 3 years plus?

No Barry, we don't expect our bike to last three years without a fault.

But it isn't unreasonable to expect a three month old bike (a 2004 in my case) to get me through a club trial without loosing it's spark; then five trials after fitting a new (free of charge) stator, the same thing happened again.

It's true, I haven't spoken to a single person who's had a stator go on a 2007 Rev3, so maybe the problem is sorted but the number of '03, '04 & '05 owners you hear tell the same story is beyond belief.

Or are we all abusing our bikes in some way?

Thats more what I was getting at we all seem to be assuming the problem is STILL there? I fully agree that in your case and most likely many others the problem was unacceptable, what I am trying to say is because it was dosen't mean it still is a problem? And for the most part the problem is now occuring mainly to bikes of the 3 year old variety when the problem was current and known.

(holds fingers crossed that his bike doesn't have a wilt next ride :blink: )

I know what you are saying Barry, most of us would expect to replace certain bearings and rebore the bike at least once in three years (depending on amount of use & level of riding) but a stator shouldnt be EXPECTED to go in this time as Scorpa3 says. To be fair i have not spoken to anyone who has an 07 bike where it has happened & as you say perhaps it has been sorted now, i really don't know. I would like to buy Beta & was planning to but was put of by this & the Mikuni carb (well the Mikuni was not really going to stop me but the stator was significantly enough of a concern to prevent me doing so). I agree that in every other way they are tough bikes; thats what is dissapointing, and i agree they are certainly not overpriced. Basically, its not the cost issue that im getting at, its the quality of this part. Personally i would rather pay a bit more for reliability & quality than pay X amount less for poorer quality (I'm certainly not refering to the rest of the bike, its very tough). To summarise i suppose im saying i dont want the anoying inconveinience of sorting a potential reoccuring problem & because of that i resent the extra cost to boot. If i can be reasured that the problem has been adressed for 08, i will still be very interested in Beta's Rev 3 when I renew my bike at the end of this year.

I would think the reason that the problem kept coming back is purely cost. Maybe Beta had bought a shed load of stators, that they had to keep using and get rid of for a few years??..or maybe they do have new bits every year???

Had a chat to a guy yesterday about re-winding my current one, (which wasnt gonna be cost effective as it turned out)..but it was interesting that he thought the coating around the coil with the thinner wire in it should have been epoxyed, rather than the coating it does have which he thought would let in moisture, and indeed he thought that MIGHT have been the problem with mine.

try west country windings they put extra windings on works perfect fixed for good they also turned the job round the day they recieved it geat service if only betas suppliers did this in the first place the shellac coating was thicker as well least i think thats what they called it !