Fork Overhaul

andy.t

Hi,I am giving my forks on a 1998 TX200 a check over and have removed the top cap with the seals in and the spring damper rod from inside, and would like to seperate the fork tube from the leg,is this a case of removing the bottom leg section and withdrawing or will they just pull apart.

Regards Andy.

Dont bother trying to remove the parts just clean them up and stick it all back together,now I am talking to myself as no body wants to give me an answer.

Hi from Doogzies father I just changed the front fork seals on a mates SV1000 there's an allen key on the bottom of the fork which you undo with a hammer ratchet gun. If you try to use an ordinary allen key it will just spin all day.

Once you have removed the bottom leg by sliding it up and down like a slide hammer you can replace the seals. Then just top up the fluid from the top there's no need to remove the spring.

That's a fairly standard set up for front forks. Don't know if it's the same as yous.

Yer right about it being quiet on here.

Cheers John

Hello Andy,

With the fork still fully assembled on the bike, unscrew the seal cap.

Next you need to unscrew the 8mm cap screw at the bottom of the slider while the fork is together. A bit of a tap on the allen key may be needed.

Best to drain the oil at this stage. Remove the inner fork cartridge.

Remove the fork leg, remove the seal cap. There is a bush that needs to be forced out by using the fork as a slide hammer, as mentioned before.

Once fully stripped apart, you can see the two bushes in the fork.

Refill with 280ml of 5 weight.

Bye, PeterB.