Citroen Berlingo

fordson major

I'm thinking of buying a Citroen Berlingo but have read that they can be prone to electrical problems, has anyone had this with their van?. If it's something trivial like the clock not working I'm not too bothered but if it's anything thing to do with these bloody engine management systems I'd be a bit more concerned.

Also does anyone know what MPG you get from the 1.9diesel (I'm on a budget so I'm not getting owt fancy like an HDI)

Any other problems with the van?

Cheers in advance for any help

Hi,

I don't have the Belingo but do have a Dispatch with the 1.9TD engine. It's done over 150k without any problems. I had the clutch done at about 135k and just had the front wheel bearing done, which only cost a little over

Thanks for the replies :o

I was thinking of getting the dispatch (or peugeot/fiat version) but I thought it'd be a fair bit more to pay initialy for the van and then to run it. However I have seen these vans with 250,000miles and still going strong, not sure how long Berlingo's live for?

Unfortunantly I wont be getting an HDI model of either van as my budget is about

1.9 non turbo is gutless,worth hanging on for a turbo,there's quite a difference.Make sure the head gasket hasn't blown,and change the cambelt and tensioners if they haven't been done for 36k.Citroen claim 72k but quite a few go before that=goodbye engine.Don't be put off,other than that they're bombproof.

1.9 non turbo is gutless,worth hanging on for a turbo,there's quite a difference.Make sure the head gasket hasn't blown,and change the cambelt and tensioners if they haven't been done for 36k.Citroen claim 72k but quite a few go before that=goodbye engine.Don't be put off,other than that they're bombproof.

Cheers for that

Was thinking of changing the cambelt anyway just to be on the safe side, like you say cheaper than a new engine.

I'm thinking of buying a Citroen Berlingo but have read that they can be prone to electrical problems, has anyone had this with their van?. If it's something trivial like the clock not working I'm not too bothered but if it's anything thing to do with these bloody engine management systems I'd be a bit more concerned.

Also does anyone know what MPG you get from the 1.9diesel (I'm on a budget so I'm not getting owt fancy like an HDI)

Any other problems with the van?

Cheers in advance for any help

sorry their french!!!say no more

I have a MY03 1.9D which retuens over 45 mpg mixed driving. Yes pretty sluggish, but then again it's a van and as I only use it for trials / odd jobs I don't want to be tearing around with the bike/gear in the back anyway. If it was my daily transport I'd welcome the HDi's extra few bhp.

Cons compared to the HDi is not as quick off the line, but that's about it. Pros are it's more economical, the front tyres will last longer and the engine is inherently more reliable, especially if you are lookig at high milers - eg, no turbo seal/bearing failures too worry about.

Ditto on the cam belt - get it changed every 36k, but otherwise it's a simple and well proven power unit.

Great small vans

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have a Berlingo 1.9d 600 1999.

It has a few probs with elecs and yes, clock is one of them.

When turning ignition to heat glow plugs they trip out at the relay, I think there is a bad earth somwhere as I have tested the plugs and leads and these are all ok.

I have also checked the relay and this seems to be ok also.

I am just about to resolve an issue today with the brake lights, when applied my front side lights are coming on as well.

Heater switch no longer works so I have wired it direct to the battery as a temporary measure with an isolate switch in the cab so it only works on 1 setting (FULL ON).

Has anybody got a clue as to my first problem as this getting annoying.

It only does this on occaisions so the earth problem sounds about right.

It seems to be dragging the battery down so not enough power to heat the plugs so they just trip out.

Any suggestions will be welcomed

Thanks

Steve