First Time At The Scott I Need Advice Please!

stump magnet

First timer ey!! Im not a scott veterain by any means but can tell you the general stuff you may need and what to expect,,

Bike needs no play in bearing and clean carb/airbox ect, just general trials maintenence really, new tyres are always nice and make you feel good, but normally end up with a turds in multiple places by the finish.

So dog turds and a good pump are a must in the tool kit, also enough tools to strip carb/airbox off and take plug out, just in case you feel like a swim!!

Spanner for adjusting rear wheel and a new split links a good idea.

Other than that cable ties and make sure your minder carries lots of duck tape.

Every rider will be carrying different tools for different things im sure! I keep weight and tools to a minimum because they can soon feel like concrete round your neck.

Just a couple of things you need to know now,,,

If you think the finish line is close its not.

And if you think your going fast, go faster!

I think the trick is to find a pace your comfy with! Just dont stop!

Sell the Sherco must be first thing on your list ??? Only joking don't string me up.

Have you been to watch the Scott previously? If not obviously too late know.

You need enough fuel to fill your bike in 5 or 6 fuel cans, one can gets used twice, make sure you mark your can up clearly with your riding number.

As for what to wear, it will probably misty and cold when you start, not for long! Your be sweating like a sweedish sauna after half an hour. a decent goretex jacket would be advised as it will keep the wind and sleet off you. Your not going to stay dry what ever you wear.

Don't worry about it to much yet just get plenty of practice fixing punchers, draining carb and jumping bogs

As has been said before, ride to a pace your happy with, push to hard and your spend more time getting back on getting more knackered and not enjoying yourself!

I don't think anyone enjoys the Scott until they see the finish line, but boy its worth it when you can say you've finnished the Scott in time! Yes luckily I can say that.

You need 5 cans for fuel.

Petrol checks 1 & 6 are the same place so you need one full can for this check.

Petrol checks 2 3 4 & 5 are all different so you need a can for each of these but only put enough gas in these to fill one tank.

I'd fasten a drink to all your cans & take time to drink it, lack of fluid = no energy.

Travel as light as possible both clothing wise & tools. I think Gav named all you need. Don't worry about getting punctures, you only get them if you're going too fast & hit everything.

Remember it's not a race you've probably got 7 1/2 hours to finish in time.

is it worth using a camel back and do you get your fuel cans back? wot about waterproof socks? and tyre pressures?

You have to use genuine fuel cans, if you don't the refulling teams will not take them from the start field in the morning.

Your cans will be returned to the start field & it's up to you to collect them from there, if you don't, we get 'em :D Want buy some?

I personally don't like camel backs, you'll have drunk the lot by first petrol check so who's going to refill it?