Bike Technology

atomant

Not sure how much they would suited to trials though as i beleive you dont get as much torque from them.

From Wikipedia:

Compared to piston engines, the time available for fuel to be injected into a ****el engine is significantly shorter, due to the way the three chambers rotate. The fuel-air mixture cannot be pre-stored as there is no intake valve. This means that to get good performance out of a ****el engine, more complicated fuel injection technologies are required than for regular four-stroke engines. This difference in intake times also causes ****el engines to be more susceptible to pressure loss at low RPM compared to regular piston engines.

And your point is?

Why I think a w ankel engine would be suitable for trials is :-

[1] You can get a large amount of power from a small displacement. An RX8 has a 1300cc engine and pokes out 220BHP (if I remember correctly)

[2] The engine could be quite small

[3] They can also rev very high

[4] They have a considerable smooth power delivery.

I took an RX4 to bits once - amazing engines :huh:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how much they would suited to trials though as i beleive you dont get as much torque from them.

From Wikipedia:

Compared to piston engines, the time available for fuel to be injected into a ****el engine is significantly shorter, due to the way the three chambers rotate. The fuel-air mixture cannot be pre-stored as there is no intake valve. This means that to get good performance out of a ****el engine, more complicated fuel injection technologies are required than for regular four-stroke engines. This difference in intake times also causes ****el engines to be more susceptible to pressure loss at low RPM compared to regular piston engines.

And your point is?

Why I think a w ankel engine would be suitable for trials is :-

[1] You can get a large amount of power from a small displacement. An RX8 has a 1300cc engine and pokes out 220BHP (if I remember correctly)

[2] The engine could be quite small

[3] They can also rev very high

[4] They have a considerable smooth power delivery.

I took an RX4 to bits once - amazing engines :huh:

It would require you to change your riding style i think, when you have an engine which might rev to 20,000rpm, but the weight advantage is certainly there.