Twin Shock Spares Availabilty

scraggydog64

Hello. I am thinking of buying a twin shock and I appreciate these old things, even ones that look mint, can be a bit of an unknown quantity and take some sorting. What I want to avoid is buying something I can't get bits for, especially engine parts at realistic prices. At the minute I would like a Bultaco or an Ossa or maybe even a Fantic or Montesa. Something probably mid seventies very early eighties.

What should I avoid? Any suggestions/guidance or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Scragg

Spares especially consumables are in plentiful supply.

Some models of Montesa were prone to gearbox problems and gearbox parts are hard to come by (Sandifords don't stock much old stuff now) so try to avoid unless another bike comes along without the problem (rare) to enable a fix.

Most Bultaco parts are still available from Sammy Miller or Dave Renham at Bultaco UK.

Really it's down to buying a good condition bike in the first place, if you are not sure, don't buy no matter how cheap, you don't want to inherit other folks trouble!

Big John

Hi Scraggy , have just bought a Bultaco and can honestly say theres no problem with parts for them , otherwise I'd be in deep stook , really depends on your budget .... keep an eye on e-bay and make sure you have a good , enigine fully warmed up test ride on the bike before parting with your money , I did'nt and a week later still trying to get it running and spending more money ... :huh:

All best

Greg

Hi Scraggy, best to avoid a black engine Beamish and a Fantic as both are difficult to source parts for. A C15 or Tiger Cub are where you will find the cheapest parts but they are more to look after being 4 stroke. Go Yamaha TY as they are pretty bullet proof and spares are available. Silver engine Beamish bits are all available via Crooks Suzuki or eBay in the USA too.

Good hunting!

I get most of mine from Bill Pye or Bob Wright, there are some parts which you can't get; e.g. 240 clutch baskets and air boxes but its not difficult to get all the parts needed for maintenance. If you want original Fantic consumables I agree you will struggle.

• 2 weeks later...
I get most of mine from Bill Pye or Bob Wright, there are some parts which you can't get; e.g. 240 clutch baskets and air boxes but its not difficult to get all the parts needed for maintenance. If you want original Fantic consumables I agree you will struggle.

Thanks for that Grib, don't suppose you have website details or pnone numbers for them do you? I have just bought a Fantic hybrid so I am sure I shall be needing some bits at some point.

I think you will find that Bill Pye still has some clutch baskets for the 240.... they are just expensive..

I think you will find that Bill Pye still has some clutch baskets for the 240.... they are just expensive..

I guess if people are buying parts from Bill Pye or Bob Wright then they must know how to contact them - is it a secret or would someone like to share the contact information?

Perhaps Bill doesn't like me - he told me there weren't any clutch baskets available. :D

Contact information for Bill Pye & Bob Wright is far from secret - I have just tried a Google search for both and the first hit had the information both times. (I'm not an expert at this level of espionage, in fact the exertion has quite worn me out. :D )

Edited by Grib