Engine Noise

wonder boy

Is it just on flat ground? It's probably pinking but without more info we'll struggle to help. It's usually easy to check pinking by giving it some sharp bursts of power. Pinking usually shows up just as you let off as a sharp knock.

I've never heard of a bike that knocks of flat ground and is fine without more investigation. As I said it could just be a little pinking and that would be OK as long as its not to bad. Pinking does create forces on the top end that will eventually damage it if left unchecked.

I would suggest you get someone in the know locally to listen to it and advise you.

As bigfoot says, if it is pinking (my 99 mont did this too), it will knock just as you shut off from a blast of throttle. I found that using better fuel helped (optimax  or good old 4 star, if you can get it.)

my montesa does the same (2002) model and i use optimax all the time mixed @80:1 just wondering if anyones tryed any of the octane boosters that are available :lol:

I'm using optimax with STP octane booster in my 300 Fantic(which also knocks when it's hot).This combination definitely reduces the detonation.

I got the STP from halfords(it comes in an orange bottle).It also seems to work well enough with Super plus unleaded.

Bear in mind my bike would have been designed to run on 98 octane leaded petrol so you modern petrol heads should get equally good results.

Cheers,

I'm using optimax with STP octane booster in my 300 Fantic(which also knocks when it's hot).This combination definitely reduces the detonation.

I got the STP from halfords(it comes in an orange bottle).It also seems to work well enough with Super plus unleaded.

Bear in mind my bike would have been designed to run on 98 octane leaded petrol so you modern petrol heads should get equally good results.

Cheers,

what is the ratio that you use ie 1.5%,2% also do i need to add xtra oil to keep the 80:1 mix correct :lol:

Cheers,

Don't listen to Spencey, he knows **** ALL !!

• 3 weeks later...