Manx Classic Two Day.

paul w

i am considering entering this event next year ( sort of a holiday away from the wife and kids!) and wondered if anybody could give me any info on the event. do people camp? or stay behind the grandstand?

a couple of guys i have chatted to at local trials have done it on pre 65 bikes that cost a small fortune, but they both said it was very enjoyable. i was looking more to ride the easy course on a twin shock (ty175). the bike is rebuilt and rides nice but any pointers on the bike front would be helpfull as well.

i dont want to win but to have a good few days with like minded people, so is this the right event?

thanks for any info/advice.

paul.

Edited by paul w

I'm more involved with the National Two Day the weekend before but by all accounts it is an enjoyable trial with old fashioned straightforward sections. Nothing stressful and a good ride round. There are seperate classes for pukka pre-65's (if there is such a thing these days) and twin shocks, with the main premier award going to a combination of oldest bike/rider i think.

It is a relatively busy time on the Island as it is at the end of Manx Grand Prix race week. People do all sorts in relation to accomodation, some camp, some in boarding houses and hotels. Depends what you fancy but there isn't one central campsite where you would find a load of fellow competitors if thats what you're looking for.

The best bet is to call the IOM Tourist Board or visit the website at www.visitisleofman.com where you can get an idea of prices etc.

I rode it this year for the first time and yes, it is an enjoyable weekend so I don't think you would find any disappointment in that respect. Just lots of like minded individuals enjoying riding the trial on their favourite bikes. At the end of Sunday's event a lot of riders stopped off on the ride back into Douglas at the pub (don't know the name) by the tram station on the Prom to have a pint, natter and enjoy the glorious weather. It was a great atmosphere and nice to see so many twinshocks and Pre65 bikes parked up at the side of the road. Can just imagine trying to do thast here....

As Cubby said, accomodation is down to personal preference and riders are spread far and wide, no 'communal gathering place' as far as I know.

You don't need an expensive or trick bike to compete in this trial. A TY175 is easily able to cope with the easier route sections and with a capable rider, could cope with the harder route sections too, no problems there as power isn't the name of the game. As long as your bike is well prepared and everything works as it should, then you will have no problem. The most important thing is that the bike is reliable and responds predictably, no nasty surprises with misfires, lurching flat spots, bits dropping off, leaking shocks etc. It's a long mileage over two days and any weaknesses will undoubtedly been exposed. The less you have to think about worrying whether this or that component is going to fail, the more you'll enjoy the ride around - trust me.........

Take spare points and condensor with you, unless you have electronic ignition fitted of course. It's a good idea to move the condensor out from the stator and up by the HT coil and mount a couple of spares up there also with wires and connectors attached. That way, if a condensor fails you can swap it over without having to remove the flywheel. A good pair of shocks is a good investment too as the sections are predominently rocks - plenty of time to save up and fit a pair of Falcons.

Go for it, it's a great weekend