Which Spark Plug Cap

ham2

what is the resistor version for out of interest?

Please nobody explain ohms law to me - I've been there :-)

Here we go...these were my choices until Copemech replied.....various plug caps

I think the resistor types are for radiowave suppression ( so it doesn't interfere with your telly picture),not that I ride my bike indoors?

Here we go...these were my choices until Copemech replied.....various plug caps

I think the resistor types are for radiowave suppression ( so it doesn't interfere with your telly picture),not that I ride my bike indoors?

Basically that is all it is for, to reduce RF emissions, however I understand that some bikes require the resistor plugs and stuff that may serve to protect some sensitive electrics on some high voltage issues! Not an issue on the Sherco, as you want the lowest resistance possible on them.

These ignition systems have no EXCESS power to tolerate increased resistance. But things like running the VX plug(non resistor) can allow minor improvments to starting and running. Seems I can open the VX (plat)up a bit from .6mm to .7mm for a bit better lighting of the fire, and with no problems encountered.

Seems the Irridium plug only comes in the resistor type, which still has some advantage in properties, but the resistor nullifies some of that, so I would be hesitant to open the gap up much.

Although these issues seem minor and insignifigant, you can multiply 10x under the laws of air density under comression at that ratio! Air is a good resistor in itself to the flow of electrons! So that ignition system must be able to throw them 10x further in free air than under compression due to increased air density, so your .6mm just became 6mm in free air, and so fourth! Think about that! If you raise the engine compression too far, it WILL NOT SPARK! Same with any type of low output or high resistance in the circuit!

Hope that keeps things relativel! :thumbup:

copemech Posted Today, 11:21 PM

If you raise the engine compression too far, it WILL NOT SPARK!

And that is why as my cylinder gets progressively more carboned up I appropriately increase the percentage of Diesel fuel that I mix with my 50/50 93 octane and 110 octane at an 80:1 ratio of purely synthetic olive oil (going healthy here). :thumbup::wall:

Basically that is all it is for, to reduce RF emissions, however I understand that some bikes require the resistor plugs and stuff that may serve to protect some sensitive electrics on some high voltage issues! Not an issue on the Sherco, as you want the lowest resistance possible on them.

These ignition systems have no EXCESS power to tolerate increased resistance. But things like running the VX plug(non resistor) can allow minor improvments to starting and running. Seems I can open the VX (plat)up a bit from .6mm to .7mm for a bit better lighting of the fire, and with no problems encountered.

Seems the Irridium plug only comes in the resistor type, which still has some advantage in properties, but the resistor nullifies some of that, so I would be hesitant to open the gap up much.

Although these issues seem minor and insignifigant, you can multiply 10x under the laws of air density under comression at that ratio! Air is a good resistor in itself to the flow of electrons! So that ignition system must be able to throw them 10x further in free air than under compression due to increased air density, so your .6mm just became 6mm in free air, and so fourth! Think about that! If you raise the engine compression too far, it WILL NOT SPARK! Same with any type of low output or high resistance in the circuit!

Hope that keeps things relativel! :wall:

Now that's what I call the perfect reply :thumbup:

A good reverse example of this would be the fact that in most piston engined aircraft flying at high altitude, the magnetos must be pressurized using bleed air off the turbochargers in order to prevent the sparks from arcing to the wrong places at the wrong times!

All with just the loss of maybe 1/2 normal atmospheric pressure at altitude! :(