Carb Questions

s.e.lucas

I'm not a mechanic but it looks to me as if your float needle isn't closing off the fuel flow.

Check your float height and clean the needle(I think the needle has a little spring in it which can get gritty)

Don't worry about the pipe it is just an equalizer, some people take it off,some don't!

I'm sure the manuals at the top of this Sherco forum have a carb' strip page.

The only time my bike got petrol in the airbox was when it fell over in the garage one night (my garage is not seperate to my house)so I woke one morning to the smell of fuel all through the house!!

If the place where the small hose attaches was as grungy as the rest of the carby, you may have pushed some dirt into the float chamber when installing the hose! This can cause stickey floats and such!

You need to remove and disassemble for a proper cleaning, might even be best to reinstall the airbox, plug the fuel and air inlet and powerwash the outside ov it first! Then remove carb to disassemble and inspect, hopefully the float valve will seal off properly. Remove the fuel inlet banjo and clean the inlet screen as well.

A can of carb or brake cleaner will usually suffice, along with compressed air to blow dry everything prior to reassembly, should be clean enough to eat off of when you are finished, not a spec of dirt inside carb or jets!

I only use short tubes on the vents, maybe 50-60mm long, just to divert dirt and water entry! Long tubes can cause strange running problems if fuel gets trapped in them! Some use none at all, but I do not like to have to disassemble to clean as often as I am LAZY!

Hope that helps!

MC

Edited by copemech