Classic Trials Books

roberto

Try www.abebooks.com Max Kings magnificent books on Trials Riding (Temple Press) these fine books tell the story of how it all began and how to get into Trials - they are really history books on todays Trials scene. Max was a very respected journalist, Radio broadcaster and accomplished Trials Rider from Dorset, I like Big John have most of the books on this subject, but none to sell.

Sammy Miller has Videos on Trials as well as Duke Marketing on the IOM.also check out the book dealers on the web.

Hope this helps Brian H

Hi Bian H.: Funny but just 3 days ago I found that little yellow book in an old books shop here in Madrid. Trials Riding by Max King (Temple Press Ltd.) with a Foreword by Hugh Viney, first edition 1955. Lovely book, and it has printed in pencil in the first page the next: "J.D. Williamson. Edinbourgh". I was about to email B.J. to ask him about this book, but just seen this post. Now I am shure he will know J.D. Williamson and a lot of stories about him.

How this book ended in a Madrid

Hi Bian H.: Funny but just 3 days ago I found that little yellow book in an old books shop here in Madrid. Trials Riding by Max King (Temple Press Ltd.) with a Foreword by Hugh Viney, first edition 1955. Lovely book, and it has printed in pencil in the first page the next: "J.D. Williamson. Edinbourgh". I was about to email B.J. to ask him about this book, but just seen this post. Now I am shure he will know J.D. Williamson and a lot of stories about him.

I suppose that particular book should be on display in the National Museum of Scotland along with Jackie Williamson's Barbour mitts, SSDT timecard and trophy as Scottish Champion in '63(or '57) I think but BJ will correct my failing memory.

Hi B.J.: Did I bought the book'????? What do you think??????....................

Of course I did. :D In fact last Sunday night I checked your book in search of this J.D. Williamson. I am now in Lanzarote island for business all the week, and reading this little yellow book at night, so when I finish it I can pass it to you. I think it must return to Scotland, and where better than in your library. But you must wait for me to go to Scotland to give it to you.

It is fantastic, I have enjoyed specially the "three stops trial" I never heard about that before.

It can be funny to know what happened to that book, maybe he selled it, lost it..... who knows.

What an amazing story we have here, I will try to find out from Jackie if he sold any books. In fact he gave me a couple of his books some years ago, one on Villiers motors which I still have.

2/4 is correct there are indeed articles of J.D. Williamson in the national Museum of Scotland as he gifted some items to them. I have all of his trophies in storage in the hope that one day they may be put on display for a good cause or something.

Big John

• 1 year later...

The Observed Trials Schreiber book is now out of print.

Here's a list I compiled some time ago.

Motorcycle Trials Bibliography

Trials Riding Max King 1st edition 1955 Temple Press

Trials Riding Max King 2nd edition 1960 Temple Press

Trials Riding Max King 3rd edition ???? Temple Press

Trials Riding Max King 4th edition 1972 Temple Press

Trials Riding Max King 5th edition 1975 Temple Press

Clean to the Finish, Sammy Miller 1974 BMS

The Greatest of all Trials, Phiilip H. Smith 1963, early Scott trial history

Two Wheel Horse the Enjoyment of Dynamic Balance, M. Camps Cardona 1971 Bultaco book

Sammy Miller on Trials, Sammy Miller, 1969 Transport Bookman

How to Ride Observed Trials Just for Fun, C.Shipman, 1973

Mick Andrews Book of Trials Tom Beesley, 1976, Patrick Stephens

The Will to Win, Jeff Clew, 1976, Sammy Miller story

Motor Cycle Trials Lane Leavitt & Len Weed 1978 Motor Cycle Trials

Ride It-the Complete book of Trials Riding, Don Smith ???

How to Win Motorcycle Trials, Sammy Miller/BMS

Trials Bike Riding, Don Smith 1980 EP Publishing

The Castrol Book of the Scottish Six Days 1982 Haynes

Observed Trials Bernie Schreiber & Len Weed 1983 Clean Sheet Enterprises

Classic British Trials Bikes Don Morley 1984 Osprey

British Trials Motorcycles, Ralph Venables, 1985 Bruce Main-Smith

Classic British Two-stroke Trials Bikes Don Morley 1987 Osprey

The Scottish 1900-62 Tommy Sandham 1988 Willow Publishing

Spanish Trials Bikes Don Morley 1988 Osprey

The Scottish 1963-89 Tommy Sandham & John Dickinson 1989 Willow Publishing

Four-Stroke Finale The Honda Trials Story Tommy Sandham & John Dickinson 1989 Willow Publishing

Trials - A Riders Guide Don Morley 1990??? Osprey

The Pre-65 Yearbook 1990-91, Deryk Wylde, 1991, Willow Publishing

The Sammy Miller Story, Jeff Clew 1993

The Scott Trial, Harry Bradley, 1994 Ariel Publishing

Phototrial 1994, Mario Candellone 1994

Phototrial 1995, Mario Candellone 1995

Phototrial 1996, Mario Candellone 1996

Six Days in May, Jim McColm 1995

• 1 year later...