03 Pro Clutch...again

dabomb

Well, I could be wrong (which my wife would quickly assure me that it is NOT the first time....:banana2:, but in my experience, the assembled clutch finger height, that is dependent on the operating pressure of the plate/Bellville spring, and the condition/relationship of the mechanical parts-not just the measured free thickness of the clutch pack outside of the clutch assembly-is a more relevant measurement. I find I get better results by setting the finger height as my "final answer", irregardless of what the free clutchpack measurement is.

So, yea, I'd say try a .1mm thinner shim plate and see how the fingers are. Rarely, but sometimes the fiber plates will swell a little over time, which will expand the pack and drop the fingers down to the point where the clutch will be stiff at the lever. I did one this morning for a friend who rides Expert Class and is hard on clutches. It was easy to adjust and works like new. The Pro engines are quite simple, but quite precise.

Jon

Ok i`m gonna try a .1mm smaller shim before i buy a complete new clutch.While i`ve got the clutch in bits,how thick should the fibre plates be?,i`ve never had a clutch in bits before,they could be totally shot and i wouldnt even know

Cheers :banana2:

Ok i`m gonna try a .1mm smaller shim before i buy a complete new clutch.While i`ve got the clutch in bits,how thick should the fibre plates be?,i`ve never had a clutch in bits before,they could be totally shot and i wouldnt even know

Cheers :banana2:

Just saw your post, so I went out to the shop and pulled a new clutch pack out of stock. Measurements were: 1.76mm, 1.76mm and the adjustment fiber plate (the one that goes in first) was 2.18mm. As I understand, the new clutches available will be a little different as they may be adjusted by the different (and available) shims like they used to be and not by the last fiber plate in the pack. I didn't measure the steel shims in the new pack, but I'm guessing they are 2mm plates (1.76mm+1.76mm+2.18mm+4mm=9.7mm). This pack may be different from yours so go by the condition on the fiber faces and if they are good, shim the pack to get the correct finger height and I would guess you'd be o.k.

The 9.75mm measurement is important to maintain the correct relationship between the pressure plate and the basket plate so the spring exerts appropriate pressure.

Jon

Just saw your post, so I went out to the shop and pulled a new clutch pack out of stock. Measurements were: 1.76mm, 1.76mm and the adjustment fiber plate (the one that goes in first) was 2.18mm. As I understand, the new clutches available will be a little different as they may be adjusted by the different (and available) shims like they used to be and not by the last fiber plate in the pack. I didn't measure the steel shims in the new pack, but I'm guessing they are 2mm plates (1.76mm+1.76mm+2.18mm+4mm=9.7mm). This pack may be different from yours so go by the condition on the fiber faces and if they are good, shim the pack to get the correct finger height and I would guess you'd be o.k.

The 9.75mm measurement is important to maintain the correct relationship between the pressure plate and the basket plate so the spring exerts appropriate pressure.

Jon

Thanks jon,i`ve just done some measuring,my fibre plates measure 2.23mm(all three),metal 1.62mm,total 9.9mm!!!.This explains the 15mm finger height.I must have measured them incorrectly first time round :banana2:

I think the best thing to do is get a new clutch pack then hopefully it will be job done.

I will order monday AM,watch this space!!

Thanks jon,i`ve just done some measuring,my fibre plates measure 2.23mm(all three),metal 1.62mm,total 9.9mm!!!.This explains the 15mm finger height.I must have measured them incorrectly first time round :banana2:

I think the best thing to do is get a new clutch pack then hopefully it will be job done.

I will order monday AM,watch this space!!

As i understand it, most just get one of the metal plates ground down in your case by .15mm, not too much really, cheaper than a complete clutch pack and easier to do?

As i understand it, most just get one of the metal plates ground down in your case by .15mm, not too much really, cheaper than a complete clutch pack and easier to do?

That would certainly be a less expensive way to fix the problem and provided the fibers are in good shape, probably the most reasonable. The problem with the newer type clutch packs (I understand the latest packs are different) having both the steel plates at 2+mm's, when the thickest available aftermarket shim plate (1.6mm, although there is supposed to be a 1.8mm plate available) is substituted for one of the 2+mm plates, the pack ends up being too thin and then you run into the problem of the fingers being too high. This can result in slippage due to lessened pressure exerted on the pack and maybe the fingers bottoming out agains't the fully retracted servo cylinder.

Jon