Sy Fork Oil Seal Change ?

vaughan

Can anyone out there guide me through changing the Fork Oil seals in my 03 SY also what quantity of oil to put in each fork and what to set the top adjustment screws too,

One last thing does anyone know where i can download a Workshop Manual from.

Cheers,

Vaughan.

• 5 weeks later...

it not that hard did one last week first prop bike on stand then drop the brake off then take the wheel out and mudgard next step is to slack the top of the forks off by this i mean the actuall fork tops one is a ajuster for compression just undo them a bit then on the fork clamps there is allen key bolts undo all on one side the fork should now slip out get a bucket undo the top of the fork drain oil

then you will need a center punch half way down is a alloy ring on top is a dust seal prize this off with small screwdriver now tap the ring round to undo it has 2 small holes in it put punch in it tap now you should see the seal i just pry them out with a very small screwdriver then put new one over and put old one on top and tap the seals down by using the old one on top you dont damage the new one then screw the alloy ring on dust cap then fill with oil i used 350ml on the right and 375ml on left thats sitting on bike should take no longer than an hour for the 2 good luck

Are you sure that they are gone? I read a good tip somewhere in internet land, slip a bit of photo film negative between the fork tube and seal (lift the upper dust seal out of the way first), run the film around the oil seal a few times. Worked for me, must have been a bit of muck trapped in there between the seal and tube, the film is thin enough to fit in there and shift it.

• 5 years later...

One of the seals on my Scorpa has started weeping, I've tried running a thin feeler gauge around the seal having removed the dust cap seal. Fingers crossed that this will fix it.

Doesn't seem too onerous to change them out though.

Edited by bigmike1961

Inside the fork seal you'll find a round spring. That round spring is actually a long spring that is screwed into itself, male into female end. If you take the spring out of it's slot with a small screwdriver and look closely at it, you can see the mating ends. Unscrew the two ends from each other and you'll have a single long spring. Now cut 1/4 inch off the female end (NOT THE MALE END!) Now screw the two ends back together and you'll have a slightly smaller spring. Reinsert it back into the groove in the seal and then mount it. I do this to all the fork seals I've mounted. It puts a little more pressure on the seal which helps it to not leak.

I've also put the neoprene fork protectors on every bike I have, even my Kawasaki Concours and my 1985 V65 Honda Sabre. Both have had the same fork seals in it since I bought them. They've never leaked. Those protectors keep crap out of the seal and will also give some protection to the fork slider should you touch it against say a granite rock. One little ding in a fork slider will eat seals forever. I'm a big beliver in fork protection. We ride in the rocks. 90% granite, 10% sandstone. Both are hard on forks. I've had fork guards on the last 15 bikes I've had. I change my fork oil very couple of years, but have never had a seal failure. The fork guards have saved my forks numerous times. I made mine

out of thin walled PVC pipe. Cost me $2.00. You can see both on my Scorpa on the pic below.

forkguard.JPG

Edited by ridgrunr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...