Fantic 300 Mods Which Ones To Do

farjazz

having recently got a 300 i was wondering as it has the original side panels,tank, i was thinking of replacing them so as not damage them when riding does anyone know if any of the other fantic models e.g 240, 301, 303 etc tank,seat unit mudguards will fit with a few mods also the foot rest position which is the best placing for them as i have some brackets which would move them back around an inch or so.has anyone else moved them back if so how does it handle , anyone who has done other frame.swinging arm,disc brake mods your help would be most grateful.my bike has had a newer engine fitted which looks like a 301 motor, someone said that a reed valve conversion is available does anyone know the cost, as it sounds expensive thanks

Frame modification is a precise art. OK move your footrests back an inch, for more grip, but what about going up a steep hill, the position of the footrests and your body weight through the pegs are what stops the bike from doing an endo. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying don't do it, but the Fantic 300 was a finely tuned bit of kit and any modifcation has to be thought through, incidentally Fantic made the 300 footrests alot lower than the 240 and redesigned the footrests to be further back. I've found the best modification for your money is a carb update, that's providing the motors sweet.

Edited by ask greeves

If its a 301 engine, it will have the latest ducati ignition. If yours has a red 2 cable ht coil under the tank, it is a motoplat ignition. Not better or worse just more expensive to replace as they are rare as weapons of mass destruction in Iraq! Some say they are less reliable also.

The 303 ignition can bge fitted to a 301 engine straight off as its basically the same.....only the flywheel has adjustable weights. Putting a later ignition on a 300 engine is aklso possible but you must change stator, flywheel, porkchop and cover and barrel from 301 or 303.

I would leave the footrest position also, maybe put some wider one on. Also, I would put sinter bronze bearings in it swing arm if the needle rollers and/or shaft are bu/*ered.

Carb mod (Mikuni/Oko ) are both worth thinking about (Chris at classic trial above website) as is a WES Silencer. Some hate em , I love em. Also WES progressive springs in the forks I find are great.

A 240 tank can be fitted as can a fiberhlass unit also available from Classictrial.

If you leave the sidepanels off, make some replacements to protect the airfilter box as they are rare also. Or buy some rough panels for riding.....

Most bits are still available although there will be a wait before new pistons are available again as both ASSO and Mahle are waiting for orders of 100 so as to make production worthwile. Bill Pye has spares in Great ayton but he is not know for special offers:-) (Knows alot about the std unit though...if you want a reed valve or something special like and OKO flat slide, speak better to Chris in southampton.

I would put a 200 top yoke on it as the bars move forward or get the std ones modded and fit fatbars at the same time.

I wouldnt put a disc on it as its not in the spirit of things but we