Gear Box Oil

rick

What does everyone think about using a synthetic like Mobile 1 in a gearbox as opposed to Hypone, Elf, or other "motorcycle gear box" oils? I tried Mobile 1 and found no difference in performance than the Hypone. Mobile one is also a lot cheaper and more readily available.

When I changed oil on the from the Mobile 1 the first time I notice the particulates stuck to the drain plug magnet were much finer than when I changed oil after using Hypone. Hypone seem to produce large chuncks.

The clutch seem less grabby as I let it out, but this could just be my imagination. I one of those people who thinks my bike/car runs better after I wash it.

I don't know what do you exerts think??

I have been running the Mobile 1 in my bikes for a while and am pleased with how the clutches operate. I do run regular gear box oil in my '74 TY250 and the '73 TL125 though. Is there a real need to run the fully synthetic ATF in the modern bikes? Will I get the same results using regular ATF Dextron III? I change it alot anyway.

I always run Dextron III in my GasGas (std edition), but in my Rev3 I run 10w30 conventional motor oil. Ron Commo says that you should not use atf in the rev engines. They look like Techno engines at first glance, but they are in fact very different. I trust what he says. My Beta works really well on the motor oil - no drag, no slip, very smooth release.

I have also heard from multiple sources to avoid using synthetics in the gearbox (atf and motor oil) because it can cause adversely affect the clutch facings.

I've used nothing but Mobil 1 for years on my bikes and found it excelent. Mobil 1 was developed for Formula 1 use first then made available to the general public. I find it reduces wear (going by the amount of metal dust collecting on the drain plug) and also gives a better clutch feel. I now run a GG pro 300 on it and it's great.

On my old 95 beta the clutch used to stick if left standing for any time and sometimes during riding soon after starting. This was cured with Mobil 1. It never stuck again after the change.

Beta boy

Just the standard stuff you get at any autoparts shop or esso petrol station. It's 0W40 I think. It is very thin at room temperature but stays that way up to extreme temperatures. The problem on my Beta was not being helped by other oils thickening then cold. You really want an oil that will keep the sort of viscosity you get when warm all the way down to low temp. That way you always get the best lub.

• 4 weeks later...