315r Knocking

finn

i am by no means an expert, so i can only comment on my own experiences, i also have a 98 315r, it does knock a bit and i run on the high octane fuel, i have taken my head off and found no play in the top end or bottom for that matter, spoke to a friend (who knows more than me about 2t) he just commented that its the high compression and nothing to worry about. has yours just started to make a noise? i am rather finicky over every litlle sound< if it doesnt sound right i tend to listen out for problems that aren't there!!!! obviously if ytours has started to knock and didn't before then it needs looking at. :thumbup:

A hard one to diagnose on the internet but from what I recall:-

If it's a rattle-knock it's the top end.

If it's a rumble-knock it's the bottom end.

Tricky! :thumbup:

I remember trying a carb' kit from Sandifords with a new slide ( with a different cut off angle) to try and cure the knock but it caused more problems than it cured.

Edited by HAM2

The problem is I've only just brought it and although it hasn't seen a hard life it hasn't been used much over the last couple of years.

I took it out for it's first outing and noticed the knock at the end of the day, I don't think it was there at the begining.

I've just changed the oil and now it won't run on tick-over it starts to rev up?????.......!!!!??

I think I'll give up for today.

My 1998 315R seems to be knocking on top end revs, is this a common problem?

yes, this is the one factor I hated about the 315!

a few months after I sold it in favour of a fuel injected model...I met the guy, took the old girl for a spin, and she worked wonderfully!............he said he went to a one # cooler plug..a #6 ..............try that ..and always run race gas!

if you still have problems, buy a 4rt.................a no problems-bike ....quite boring, wish something wood go wrong!

yes, this is the one factor I hated about the 315!

a few months after I sold it in favour of a fuel injected model...I met the guy, took the old girl for a spin, and she worked wonderfully!............he said he went to a one # cooler plug..a #6 ..............try that ..and always run race gas!

if you still have problems, buy a 4rt.................a no problems-bike ....quite boring, wish something wood go wrong!

Try dropping a few small nuts down the oil filler hole!!! that'll give you something to fix!! :thumbup: