Soggy Gasgas

pancho247

Hi, I dropped my bike in the stream at the weekend and got some water in but hopefully not too much. The bike started up straight away and ran for about 10 minutes afterwards before it was struggling to tick over. I rode back to the car and it by the time i got there it was really struggling to tick over.

I took it home and it started fine and ticked over fine for about 5 mins and engine was making a knocking noise and then stalled

I have cleaned the carb and one of the jets was blocked. I took the plug out and kicked it over and no water came out the top. I haven't put it back together yet.

However my main concern is the damage it may have done inside the engine........

Is there any advice/suggestions for me or concerns i should have?

Cheers

Hi pancho,

always best to act fast when you drown your motor. Completely clean out the airbox, air filter, completely strip the carb, clean and re-assemble. Remove spark plug, tip the bike upside down and turn the motor over to remove any water from the cases.

On the PRO, the crankshaft seals are on the inside of the cases so hopefully no water would have gone into the main bearings.

You didn't say if the motor locked up when you got a dollop of water so it's probably not so bad.

Check the gearbox oil has not become milky looking (via the sight glass).

Start up the bike and get it going for a while to remove all traces of water from the motor, should be ok.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi pancho,

always best to act fast when you drown your motor. Completely clean out the airbox, air filter, completely strip the carb, clean and re-assemble. Remove spark plug, tip the bike upside down and turn the motor over to remove any water from the cases.

On the PRO, the crankshaft seals are on the inside of the cases so hopefully no water would have gone into the main bearings.

You didn't say if the motor locked up when you got a dollop of water so it's probably not so bad.

Check the gearbox oil has not become milky looking (via the sight glass).

Start up the bike and get it going for a while to remove all traces of water from the motor, should be ok.

Bye, PeterB.

Very good advice.

You also might want to check the alternator sidecover as the cold water probably created a vacuum and sucked water into the flywheel area if the sealing surface was compromised at all. This is especially critical is it's a 2002 Pro as the cases are Magnesium (03' on up are aluminum except for the Ragas) and prone to corrosion if not kept dry.

Jon