What Engine Is It?

troutrader1

I was looking in one of my old books and found two pictures of Mick Andrews on one of his TY's, The pictures are not that good but can anyone identify the engines?

The book is "MOTOR CYCLE TRIALS TECHNIQUES AND TRAINING" by Leavitt and Weed.

The Pictures are on pages 128 & 139 take notice of clutch cover and header mods!!

Sorry to those who do not have this book as I do not own a scanner.

Cheers

The engine was a 360cc 6 speed only the same weight as a ty175 motor . It was called an ow32 by the factory who only made 3 complete engines .

John shirt still has a complete bike this is sometimes ridden by pete salt.

Samb

The engine was a 360cc 6 speed only the same weight as a ty175 motor . It was called an ow32 by the factory who only made 3 complete engines .

John shirt still has a complete bike this is sometimes ridden by pete salt.

Samb

Any idea of how they got the weight down? All titanium and magnesium?

Craig Mawlam who bought the Majesty stock from Shirty has one of Mick's original 360 big-finned motors and was using it in the Classic series a few years ago. Those bikes in the pictures are from Mick's initial spell with Yamaha, one is the cantilever, the other when he reverted to twinshock.

Craig also has a 6 speed small finned 250 motor fitted in a mini-majesty frame to make a very nice Yamaha Majesty - is this the motor you mean Sam? Were there two different types, the early big finned 360 and a later small finned 250? I know you have probably forgotten more about Majesties than I'll ever know but I think the bike that Salty rode had the same type of 6 speed engine that Craig is now using but they are 250 (according to Salty) The one Salty rode had the special frame, forks, hubs - completely different from the normal Yam Majesty (similar to the forks/hub on the twinshock picture) I was told there were only 3 of those made. There is a picture of one in John Hulme's twinshock book with Shirt Snr riding it (in SSDT?) in the early 80s. It was pretty much a prototype Yam mono with twin shocks wasn't it? Nice bike anyway, I remember him riding it for a few seasons in the ACU Classic series and both he and the bike well.

Anyway, back to the bikes in the pictures, Mick showed me one of the 'fuel injection' throttle bodies they used on those bikes once, made from magnesium it weighed nothing. He also had a magnesium carb and when you held it in one hand with a conventional carb in the other, the difference in weight was amazing. He also showed me some hand prepped factory gears that were very much lightened. That's how the weight was shed I guess, exotic materials and all excess metal dispensed with.