Strap It Down...

boner

So, each time I try and strap the gas gas down to take it anywhere it ALWAYS seem to riggle loose of the ratchet straps, and slowly lowers itself onto it's side!!!

How the hell are you suposed to strap a trials bike down for transport??? :thumbup:

Cheers - matt.

Trailer, Rack Or van ?

Have you anything under the sump? If its a trailer does it have suspension ?

On a trailer we always put ratchet straps around bottom fork yoke, and tension till forks compress about 1"

2 straps to each bike

Nothing under sump and we find the suspension on bike holds bike against straps they never move

Edited by windlestone

The problem is with my son's TXT50 which sits in the boot of the LandCruiser. Have tried putting a stand under the sump - ratchet to front forks and one over the seat.

Am I right in thinking that someone sells a kind of brace to wedge ontop of the front wheel to stop the forks compressing too much?

This might be the answer to my troubles!

Cheers - matt.

The problem is with my son's TXT50 which sits in the boot of the LandCruiser. Have tried putting a stand under the sump - ratchet to front forks and one over the seat.

Am I right in thinking that someone sells a kind of brace to wedge ontop of the front wheel to stop the forks compressing too much?

This might be the answer to my troubles!

Cheers - matt.

You mean like THIS

I wouldn't put anything under sump or wedge the forks. My theory is with the forks compressed they are obviously trying to get back to normal position, therefore they're pulling against the tie downs keeping the straps taught. You use the bikes suspension against the straps to stop the straps working loose. If you wedge the forks with wood it'll be like tying a solid lump to the floor and its bound to bounce when you go over any bumps on the road

Firstly,are you using the clicky ratchet straps?there are some others that people use that dont actually have a ratchet,more of a wedge type thing,these are not much good.

If you have a strap on each end of the bars,and the wheel is chocked so it cant move from side to side,it cant actually go anywhere.I`m guessing the front wheel is up against the cab so it cant move foward either.

Just make sure the straps are actually pulling the bike foward against the cab. :thumbup:

hello,

I use an old football instead of a pice of wood just deflate it a bit and it will fit between the forklegs and it does'nt move then pull the straps and the football acts as a shok absorber

i use 2 straps at the front and one at the rear tyre and 2 more from the footrests to the trailer

bike does'nt move and suspension is not completely compressed

regards bob

I use rachet straps (not the hook type) and tie them around the front wheel spindles and tighten them onto the lashing eyes at approx 45degs. This means that the front forks are not compressed at all, only the tyre.

At the rear, I go from the frame behind the foot rests down to the lashing eyes, this does compress the rear suspension slightly, just enough to keep the tyres pulled down onto the channel.

I use the standard, wedge type ratchet straps. Yep, if you just leave the straps hanging they can work loose, but I normally tie the loose end tight around the strap itself so that the end can't work its way loose.I have a few different types of ratchet but they all survive with this method.

Two straps holding the bars down and a bungee through the back wheel to stop it lifting/bouncing out.