Dog Bone Link?

boner

Guys, I'm off to look at a 315r in the morning and have been searching the forums for what to look out for...

One think thast seems fairly reoccurent is, warn dog bone links.

Not 100% sure what to look for, but I'm guessing that its a metal link that looks like a dog bone in shape attaching the swinging arms to the frame?

Is that right?

Cheers - Matt.

I had three 315's and they all suffered "dog bone" damage. The rearmost bearing of the two gets a bit of a bashing if you sump it out on a rock, and the ally flexes, thus letting water, crud, etc. start to get into the bearing and its housing.

Its not expensive or difficult to replace. But if it is not in good condition you are going to get "play" develop pretty rapidly in the rear end. To prevent damage there are longer bash plates available for fitting.

The rest of the rear linkage is not so prone to damage and wear, provided the owner checks it over every so often. The bearings are usually fine and perhaps the cotter pins, although if the bearing gets dry and keeps sitting in the same position, a "collar" or ridge (very small) can form on the pin that passes within the 2 bearings. Grease them every so often and you won't have any bother nor have any "play" to worry about.

Another thing to check for is the footrest hangers - they are weak and bend relatively easily if smacked on a rock. Obvious sign is when you stand behind the bike and look at the pegs - if they're drooping down, chances are hangers are shot. Replacement steel hangers = approx