Strange Tlr On Ebay....

honda_tlr

Guest THEDavidBaker

Hi

The frame is a Gerard Honda (Peter Gerard - St Ives - Cambridgeshire). Designed by Mick Mills, manufactured by Magnum Engineering, Weedon, Northamptonshire. Proprietor Bill Walridge.

These were designed for the TL125. Peter Gerard sponsored Nick Fossey on a bored and stroked (220cc) who campaigned this in the South Midland Centre very successfully until he was banned by the ACU for entering two trials on the same day. There was a factory built 250, this used an XL 250 single port engine. Unfortunately this was too heavy for the design and consequently didn't steer very good!

Hey g4321 I worked in the bike trade back in the day and I was at Merton College (bike tecs) when the FT500 was launched it was crap. Folks shoe horned the XL500 lump in to an RS and that was what Honda should have built. Happy days.

I have owned both an FT (while in London) and still own a twinshock XR500, I still have a couple spare motors - XL/XR500- the only real difference is the inlet manifold, even the cam is virtually the same.

There were two main drawbacks with the FT - the electric start could be problematic, (I never had any problems with mine), if I had the bike at home a kiskstart bottom end would have been fitted and the electric foot thrown away as superfluous. It used a big CV carb which made the bike feel a bit flat (compared to a slide carbed XL or XR). Otherwise there was very little difference to the XL motor - same potential problem with cam running in alloy head and little filtration of oil.

The FT would top the magic ton on a good day but not by much, handling was OK - not brilliant, especially with the wide/high bars it came out with and the 19" front wheel. With narrow /lower bars the feeling of holding on to a sail went away.

I agree though Honda should have fitted the XL/XR500 motor in the 250rs frame , it was a much lighter and sportier frame. If I remember correctly it only took drilling out one engine mount to the next size up to make it fit.

Interestingly a mate had the XBR500, this was closer to what the FT should have been but was too heavy with too complex an engine RFVC (radial four valve combustion) 500. There was not much difference in performance on the road. the FT is one of the few bikes I have sold, most I tend to keep and to be honest I did regret selling it not a brillisant bike but not 'crap' either.

I always fanclied trying an XR cam and decent carb on the FT

Hi

The frame is a Gerard Honda (Peter Gerard - St Ives - Cambridgeshire). Designed by Mick Mills, manufactured by Magnum Engineering, Weedon, Northamptonshire. Proprietor Bill Walridge.

These were designed for the TL125. Peter Gerard sponsored Nick Fossey on a bored and stroked (220cc) who campaigned this in the South Midland Centre very successfully until he was banned by the ACU for entering two trials on the same day. There was a factory built 250, this used an XL 250 single port engine. Unfortunately this was too heavy for the design and consequently didn't steer very good!

And here is the said Mr Fossey exiting an SSDT section in 1979 so he got a bit further than the South Midland centre. A coconut to the first reader under 25 who can give the then name of the section (it's been changed since).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_dabber/21...57603719378650/

Hi Big John,

The bike pictured has a TL250 motor if I remember. Is that correct?

I found a TL 250 and would love to do something with it.

That's about it!

I think it has been bored, (but not stroked) to around 305cc. One day I will get down to having it measured!

Big John

Peter Gerard sponsored Nick Fossey on a bored and stroked (220cc) who campaigned this in the South Midland Centre very successfully until he was banned by the ACU for entering two trials on the same day.

And quite rightly so!

Big John

Hey g4321 I worked in the bike trade back in the day and I was at Merton College (bike tecs) when the FT500 was launched it was crap. Folks shoe horned the XL500 lump in to an RS and that was what Honda should have built. Happy days. :shutup:

Then they tried the XBR 500 thing. Ohh dear.

And here is the said Mr Fossey exiting an SSDT section in 1979 so he got a bit further than the South Midland centre. A coconut to the first reader under 25 who can give the then name of the section (it's been changed since).

Sorry about that, the link should work now, let me know if it doesn't. I tried for ages to attach the photo direct then ended up posting the link in a hurry before heading to meet the guys at the pub (to discuss trials of course).