Twinshock To Modern?

dgraf

okay, I'm probably gonna open up a can of worms... I have a question, does anybody ride there twinshock in modern comp class? I would love to ride vintage but I thought trials was about balance and getting a five in one class

because I pause to prep for the next trap in the section doesn't make any sense. If I can't stop and balance in the vintage class then I will ride in the modern class. in the 70's you could stop balance and take off without any points lost. Please clarify the reasoning behind this as I don't see this as fair if it is okay in the modern class.

Your message was a bit hard to work out, but it sounds like where you ride, the twinshock class rules include a stopping penalty while the modern bike class rules allow stopping.

Contrary to what are saying about the rules in the 1970s, events then were almost exclusively run to no-stop rules. If you were allowed to momentarily stop and balance in the 1970s, you were riding under different rules to the convention at the time.

There are reasons for using a stopping penalty for twinshock class nowadays.

Depending on the nature of the sections, a bike with poor clutch action by nature of it's design may be disadvantaged by allowing stopping. If the organisers are trying to attract riders, it is useful to make the playing field more level by reducing the advantage gained by having good clutch action.

To replicate the feel of the events of the time the bikes were made, orgainsers sometimes like to use the same rules as those used at time.

Yes it can be tricky and sometimes quite amusing riding to the no-stop rules after years of stopping and balancing. We have one (twinshock and classic bikes only) event a year that runs to no-stop rules and that is one of the reasons it is such fun to ride.

And yes lots of us ride twinshock bikes in modern bike classes (with great satisfaction too)

You can do whatever you like with the clutch. It is whether the bike stops or not that counts as far as scoring goes.

If you are a died-in-the-wool stopper, you might find that to start with you will do less accidental stopping if you leave the clutch alone.

Personally I find it so much easier to ride using the clutch that I prefer to use it and pay close attention to keeping the bike in motion.

Our local club doesn't include twinshock class ie they only run rider grading classes so I ride on my twinshock against modern bikes.

Most open trials include a twinshock class so I usually ride that.

Some other open trials are for twinshock and classic bikes only.

Last year my wife sold her modern bike so whatever trial I ride now it is on a twinshock bike. Before that I sometimes rode the modern bike.