Montesa Disc

pazz

I have a 1998 Cota 315 and the front brake performance is pretty poor, it's just a plain solid front disc. What is the best option to improve the brake?

Can I get get soft pads or is there an option to fit a later "wavy" disc or similar, if I did this would I need different pads?

Any ideas please.

I had a 98 and the front brake was poor ,just as you describe.

You might want to fault find in the reverse direction to me?!?

I fitted:

Slave pistons and seals.

A wavy disc.

A new braided hose.

New 4-pot calliper assy'.

Different lever.

fair point may be a good idea to look at the seals, the only thing is I seem to be getting plenty of pressure to the caliper and no bubbles back in the master but it just doesn't seem to want to slow down. I have to chnage the pads as I think they're glazed but thought it may be the right time to try a disc as wel.

What wavy disc did you use and where did you get the seals?

I thought this sounded unlikely but it actually works. Ride round with the brake dragging to get it warm then throw cold water on it. You might need to repeat the process but this certainly made a big difference to 2 bikes I've had. Seems it takes all the impurities off the braking surfaces. Worth a try as it costs a lot less than a seal kit.

fair point may be a good idea to look at the seals, the only thing is I seem to be getting plenty of pressure to the caliper and no bubbles back in the master but it just doesn't seem to want to slow down. I have to chnage the pads as I think they're glazed but thought it may be the right time to try a disc as wel.

What wavy disc did you use and where did you get the seals?

From what I remember the uk importer of the spares was a wholesale operation only, so a mate in the trade had to use his account on my behalf.

The disc (I think) was a galfer?

Put new pads in, bedded them in then tried the hot and cold, seems better but I am going to try the seals. They are original for 1998 and maybe looking for a change as there seems to be a lot of what looks like dirt in the bottom of the master.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

OK, did the pads, scratched the discs and bedded them in, rode them a while chnaged the seals and then did the hot and cold thing, they were much better. The final thing that did the trick was using them in anger on a muddy trial, after the disc and pad got so scratched and scraped they worked much better.

Back as good as new, which aint great but good enough for now.