Observing.

boofont

I hope to observe for a few days this year, has anyone done it it before? What can I expect and how do the observers get out to the far away sections? Do they ride the whole way, follow the road or take a van and park up close by?

I've observed a couple of times - highly recommended. There's a great team spirit with the observers and towards the end of the week, with the riders as you get to know them.

Whilst enjoyable, it is actually work - you need to be on the section an hour before the first rider gets there and once the riders start arriving it can take several hours for them all to get through. That said, the Edinburgh club is very supportive and if you're new then you'll be assigned to observe with an experienced group. When I've done it there's always been more than one observer per section so you can get a break.

What sections you get sent to depends on what transport you have. Broadly speaking, if you have a trials bike, then expect to be sent to the most inaccessible. If you just have a car, then it will likely be sections by the roadside.

Hope this helps. You need to sign on (see the SSDT website) if you haven't already.

what happens to the riders that break down in remote parts. i've always wondered wether they needed someone on a quad bike with trailer to ferry them back, i'd happily volunteer if my quad was 4wd. hopefully my new one will be.

what happens to the riders that break down in remote parts. i've always wondered wether they needed someone on a quad bike with trailer to ferry them back, i'd happily volunteer if my quad was 4wd. hopefully my new one will be.

No such luxury I'm afraid benj - just a long push. Not too easy if your 348 has just snapped in half at the sterring head!

Boof

First of all how are you doing down south?

Mark Grant observed last year (silly buggers riding this year). Matt and I sometimes came across observers cars and vans up dead end roads running as close and possible to the sections. I guess you'd be given a meet up point for your fellow observers and a map showing the nearest entry point. This means that you can drive the majority and just nip in or join the route at an easy point. I think Mark rode a fair way to some sections though, which is what your looking for.

I have a bike and hope to be observe at the futhest sections possible! So how do the observers get there? Do they ride all the way or park up close by?

Depends how competent a rider you are... ;)

How do stranger?! None of this 'hoping to observe' malarky - your hotel room is booked, so you're in and that's that! You'll be in a squad of observers for the week - generally each bike team will be loaded into a van and taken to the nearest accessible point of the road, then you'll be turfed out and sent on your way to find the sections. There's very few days where a bike squad sets off from the hotel, but you never know, you might get lucky!

See you there! :rotfl:

No such luxury I'm afraid benj - just a long push. Not too easy if your 348 has just snapped in half at the sterring head!

2/4 - cant remember you ever having a 348 although it was a long time ago !!

the one i got from JMcC snapped in half - it was quite exciting as the throttle cable stretched and sent it onto full chat! - after that i bought a bulto which used to run backwards ! - oh the spanish knew how to make you suffer :rotfl:

Boofont - on the subject of observing - if you have a bike, although we will try to give you sections in the hill, there may be occasions that you have to do roadside or even other marshaling duties eg man the car park. but don't worry you will get a good variety - did HL tell you that you sometimes have to get up at 5.30? ;) or did she forget that bit :P

2/4 - cant remember you ever having a 348 although it was a long time ago !!

the one i got from JMcC snapped in half - it was quite exciting as the throttle cable stretched and sent it onto full chat! - after that i bought a bulto which used to run backwards ! - oh the spanish knew how to make you suffer :rotfl:

Well there you go Mark, I can't remember your one snapping in half, though as Jock's "tuner" at the time I disclaim responsibility as I never touched the cycle parts. I referred to my recollection of a Works one parting, possibly out Blackwater way. No doubt BJ can fill out the details and tell us what Mr Shepherd said at the time, though one can guess.

As a prompter you might recall the nice shade of blue Willie painted the tank on mine.

Boofont - on the subject of observing - if you have a bike, although we will try to give you sections in the hill, there may be occasions that you have to do roadside or even other marshaling duties eg man the car park. but don't worry you will get a good variety - did HL tell you that you sometimes have to get up at 5.30? :rotfl: or did she forget that bit ;)

It's all cool, my alarm goes of at 5.30 for works anyway, although to be honest since my son Gregor was born that's a lie in!

as Jock's "tuner" at the time I disclaim responsibility as I never touched the cycle parts. .

As a prompter you might recall the nice shade of blue Willie painted the tank on mine.

its coming back to me - 30 years is a long time.

mine snapped in half while practicing one saturday - i took it to Jimmy McFs farm chucked the two bits on the ground and jimmy welded it up using a bit of a combine harvester as a gusset - never steered right after that - or that was my excuse !!

saying that, the 348s were better than the 349s -at least when the 348s stayed in gear they were quite nice to ride (the term 'nice' is all relative - were talking abut Ossas and bultacos here)