2002 Montesa

Guest Yamaha_dude

Guest Yamaha_dude

i have a 2002 montesa 250 in mind for my next bike as it is good price and good condition,

but are there any known problems with the 02 Mont and i currently own a 1984 Yam 250, will the 02 250 engine be alot more responsive, in other words will i be safe on it!

Thanks in advance

Rich

Yeah, the 02 will probably not be as "sharp/Snappy" on the throtle as the gas gas you tried, which is no bad thing!

If you can stretch to it, go for an 03 as they changed the porting which made the engine smoother to ride, giving more grip, less spin, especially lower in the rev range.

Run it on optimax as well to avoid pinking

Go for it... you won't regret it!!

( I'm on my second Mont, tried the others but preffered the engine and build quality of the montesa!!)

Good luck.

Since I've spared no ink in the past pointing out the bad points in other bikes I've owned, it would only make sense to reply honestly on this topic, (bad points of the Montesa '02) It's such a great bike that it's tough to find anything but glowing testimonies to "how the Mont. saved my life". In the interest of objectivity I will try to shed some light on what I've found to be the Mont's bad points. These are easily corrected for the most part, but around here they are rarely addressed. Ignoring a problem does not make it go away! Basically there are two items foremost which need to be addressed. 1 - The rear fender seems to be offset to the left on almost every Montesa around. You can argue theories about falling down on the muffler, but I don't buy it! I think they are somehow built that way. If this problem is not addressed the fender gets rubbed through on the tire and as a bonus you get to buy a $200.00 rear muffler every season after it has a triangular hole worn through it on the tire. There are three things wich I have done to resolve this issue. First, place two 5/16" (8mm) spacers betwen the left airbox to frame mounts. You will need to loosen the triangular alloy "subframe" on the right side and all the airbox bolts to do this. Secondly, add a couple of large diameter 6mm washers between the muffler mount and the "subframe". Thirdly after the airbox and subframe bolts are re- tightened, Bend the muffler bracket just by pulling out on the muffler. The end result should be substantial tire to muffler cearance, and the rear fender should be centered over the rear tire. (when the riders leg presses in on the muffler it should still not hit the tire) Once you have obtained this optimum setting, the joint between the tank and fender will no longer be sqare. This is what leads me to believe they are built that way. Also mind that you keep a fresh rubber bushing on the muffler as these tend to wear out frequently, and don't forget to loctite the 6mm retaining bolt. The second flaw I have discovered is the tendency for the skid plate to damage the engine cases which can be horribly expensive to fix. Those of us who've been trials riding for years are surely aware of the difficulties encountered when trying to re install a potato chip shaped (bent) skid plate. For years I prided myself on my ability to squeeze the thig back on with channel lock pliers and guide rods and somehow get the srews back in. This has finally revealed itself as idiocy! Now I remove the skid plate and straighten it periodically. Lay it on a flat surface and just smack it with a big maul. Earplugs are highly recomended for this procedure. Try it on the bike until it fits just right and keep a fresh rubber in there. They are much cheaper than engine cases! If the aftermarket could build and sell high energy plastic inserts for this location I for one would buy it! That's about it. Happy trialing, Jay L.

I never knew there was such a bike. I spent an afternoon riding an '89 Climber awhile back. It seemed like it looked way cool, but did't work so well. Pomegranite and puce or some colors like that? Tangerine and mauve? o.k.? Purple and green? Who picks out the colors on these things? I wish someone would make a green bike. I had an Italjet, which was about as green as it could get. I remember seeing that thing falling towards me as I lay at the foot of a rock wall. For second it seemed to blot out the sun and then wham! It was just like stepping in front of a speeding bus! Oh that Italjet was a fine machine. :rolleyes: Jay

Edited by JayLael

Guest Yamaha_dude

Thanks Jay, you seem to be a fountin of trials knowledge.

i did hear the colours were a bit... funny.

Do you think there would be any market for them nowadays? would anyone want a purple and green bike :rolleyes:

nice avatar by the way monty

Yamaha Dude: I think the market has changed since the 80s. Todays trials rider is more discriminating. It takes more than mag wheels and a flashy paint job to inspire todays trials enthusiast. They also need to run well, not leak oil, and have brakes that stop on a dime. Some manufacturers have followed in the path of others before them by offering the lightest bikes possible, maybe at the expense of reliability. In the future it looks like the four strokes will become popular. The cycle of popularity reminds me of the old upside down fork thing. First they tell us we need them because they are more rigid, but the actual forks were like spagetti, and also leaked. Then they tell us the right side up fork is far superior, (although it wasn't before). "Yep I know them things were pretty bad for the last 30 years, but now we've solved the problem!" On motocross bikes they have "improved" forks 'til you can't get 'em apart with normal tools and a high school education. Old junior down at the barn will no doubt be capable of diagnosing a no start condition on his 2005 Montesa. It's a sophisticated world these days. Just such a place for a new green bike. :rolleyes:

Guest Yamaha_dude

right but of course someone out there will buy it.

not everyone can afford a brand new bike... ie me :rolleyes:

oh well

what do you like about green so much???

My first big hot dog sponsored ride was a '73 OSSA MAR which came with a big grass green stripe on the tank and the dealer who sold it to me handed over a green OSSA t shirt and a case of full bore 2 stroke oil to sweeten the deal. I wore that OSSA shirt almost constantly for the first year and even got my school picture taken wearing it. I guess that was a very important/happy time in my life as I was winning trials, had a model hot girlfriend and a Ford econoline van. Life just don't get much better! Since then I had a Kawasaki trialer which was radically tricked out I rode in nationals in '82, then an Italjet in '84. Now my latest Hodaka Bullforg t-2 is "road toad green". Green trials bikes look so good up against a backdrop of forest greenery. Nothing like a mossy steam bed with bushes and trees surrounding it and a green trials bike in it. It's aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

post-9-1090932170.jpg