Bleeding Rear Brakes

alan bechard

I think the one thing that I truly hate to do on a modern Trials bike is too bleed the rear brakes. It is one of those things that I was told, 9 out of 10 men have troubles occasionaly and the tenth is a liar,,,,,,,,, OOOhhhh wrong board.

Anyway, so after a really long day at work with not a lot going right, I go by the powdercoat shop to pick up a mower flywheel that my wife wants fixed NOW, not yesterday, or tomorrow, but NOW. Andddddd, of course, he jobbed it out to someone else...... UURRRGGHHHHh.

Come home and watch Dean ride some on the new bike, and that was pretty cool, he is getting the hang of it and after that decide to go ahead and hang the rear wheel / brakes I had off doing some maintenance.

Weeelllllll, So you go to back bleed it, and you are pushing on the syringe and you let your atttention stray for a moment, and it is not taking fluid, and the hose blows off the end of the syringe,,,,,,,, Thereby shooting a good load of brake fluid into that shiny new roll around tool cart that I just bought,,,,, them darn Chinese just do not paint things like they should!!!! After some choice words and sopping up the mess I sit back down to the business at hand and get wiggling around trying to figure out what is going on and knock over the coffee can with antifreeze in it that I left on the shop floor, and knew I should have picked up,,,,,,,,

You start to get that mopped up, and bump the bike that has the bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid sitting on the footpeg that you know you should have put the cap on before setting it securely on the floor,,,,,,, Antifreeze and brake fluid do mix fairly well as they are both a glycol base.......

You play with the brakes some and do not get them working and contemplate taking up a new sport,,, I am thinking competitive Beer Drinking or shuffleboard.

So you come in and vent a bit on the board before launching your bike into oblivion...

Must be a job for tomorrow, after the wifes mower is back together.