Week 59 - Cash, Biscuits Or Nowt?

Andy

You have to be careful when "paying" an observer. Many clubs are now classed as limited companies. When payment is made, the observer is effectively an employee and therefore the company (club) and it's directors are fully responsible and liable for the employee's welfare and safety!

Beware of how observers are paid, it's not as simple a matter as some may think!

Big John

I have to agree with Mike on this, a tenner would simply go in my pocket, the biscuits would be appreciated by our Lass who makes our grub, washes the gear and gets to spend Sundays on her tod,

My son rides the Trial while i prefer to follow round and watch, If i did observe it would be nice if my Lad got his entry free.

Cheers,

Vaughan

The biscuit idea is good obviously as they can be shared with others as in Vaughans post.People remember small gestures like that, a tenner is soon spent and gone. Riders supplying observers and getting a half price or free ride is common around my neck of the woods. :rolleyes:

I certainly wouldnt mind paying an extra 2 or 3 quid for my days riding the only problem is there are some families with three people riding and not all can afford it as the kids arent working but i think if the extra money went to the observers a lot more folks would stop chasing around after thier lads and observe. A couple of times a year i go and observe for a classic club near me just to enjoy a day out watching and to give something back and no never been paid and dont mind

I have to agree with Mike on this, a tenner would simply go in my pocket, the biscuits would be appreciated by our Lass who makes our grub, washes the gear and gets to spend Sundays on her tod,

My son rides the Trial while i prefer to follow round and watch, If i did observe it would be nice if my Lad got his entry free.

Cheers,

Vaughan

I made our grub, I washed the kit when I got home then made dinner - she aint geddin' no biscuits :rolleyes:

Clubs need to decide for themselves what they do. We certainly couldn't afford as much as a twenty quid per observer. We had about 42 entries today with a local clash of trials so it would be exactly a fiver per rider.

Once we've paid for land, ACU subs, insurance, then awards at end of year, we're not racking up the funds as it is, and admittedly our entry fee isn't the cheapest at around

I have to agree with Rappers here (having said that I am now feeling sick after munching my way through 1/2 a tin of M&S finest choccy biccys :P ) and I reckon a gift to take home is far better than cash payment. I do the occasional stint as an observer and do not expect payment whether it be monetary or gift form but it is nice to feel "appreciated".

Whilst on the subject of appreciation it was around the same time last year having observed a major trial that I wrote to the weekly publication regarding appreciation of the observer by the rider, I was always taught if you do nothing else all day you must thank the observer on the last lap. Unfortunately at the same trial again this weekend some riders either forgot or where just plain ignorant to the fact that I and 19 others (not including club & ACU officials) had given up our day to enable them to enjoy their day's riding ;) . Don't get me wrong it is only a minority and I may be being picky but i would like to know other peoples thoughts on it.

Having said all that I will continue to observe when asked as I enjoy it and it means I sometimes have a good excuse for not entering and making a fool of myself once again :rolleyes:

Some good points and as usual Mike has his finger on the pulse.

I observered with my two lads at the Bemrose last week and it never occured to me that we should get paid. (We volunteered for the job and had a thoroughly enjoyable day, apart from the snow) We did get some vouchers for the butty wagon which was much appreciated.

Having said that, most clubs round here, Cheshire/Derbyshire/Staffs offer a free ride if you supply an observer, which I like, as with two lads to pay for it can save me hundreds of pounds a year. Without this incentive I'm sure I would observe less often, which is daft as I enjoy it !!!

As to the other points of punch cards and thank you's.

I like the punch card system but have found it really works best with two observers, to keep things moving. Not being backward in the talking department, I have never found myself sitting in silence for very long, whilst scribbling onto a clipborad

It was most noticable at the Bemrose that 95% of the entry (160 riders) made a special effort to thank us for observing. As quite a few of the riders were well knackered by the time they got to us at Danebower this was all the more appreciated.

With any luck, I'll be out with the clipboard again next weekend enjoying the elements !!

I agree wholeheartedly it costs nothing to thank the observer who has stood out there in all weathers so we can have a days sport! and it is appreciated by them. On the subject of payment to observers I have mixed thoughts on this our own club donot pay except The Colonial but we have an observers draw for the Club Championship series.

Edited by Yorky

I don't know maybe a box of biscuits cost a fiver. If you want to and can afford to throw tenners around why not have a donation for the said tenner to a chosen charity. Each observer nominates their chosen charity their tenner goes to. That way folks in and outside gain and at the same time many if not all know of others who have benfited from said charity/ hospice etc and can do their bit so to speak. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

PS. there are clubs out there with very healthy bank balances who at the end of the day don't need the cash, it has all been taken from a few over the years to have a good time . Send it to the ones that do need it. Preferably UK based. Thanks

At our club trials every rider who supplies an observer gets a free ride plus every observer gets a chocolate bar. This works really well most of the time, until someone turns up to observe without a rider.

We did try giving out a

It's about the same here in Wessex centre most clubs buy a "drink" in some way or another for the observers but what most observers want from the day is a sense of involvement with the trial. At the very least all riders should try to be polite (not obsequious) .. it's just the simple things in life like hello, good morning, how are you, youv'e got a good section here etc. clearly you can't all have good chat or else it would take ages to get the trial done. Like Rappers I have been either riding and now more frequently observing over the last 40 years and am more aware than most that bizarre things happen in sections. some of the more "aspirational" riders will only ever communicate with an observer is if they are unhappy...i.e negatively. For example I was "in charge" of a hill at the SSDT a few years back when a situation arose.. the rider who to this day doesn't want to get a real job lashed into the observer who thought he was being kind (giving the benifit of any doubt) with a tirade of abuse; "I.ve spent thousands of pounds getting here,don't you know who I am? etc. culminating in I'm never coming here again!!" (expletives omitted). The point he seemed to miss whatever the right or wrongs of the individual case was that it cost the observers best part of a thousand pounds to be there also...and that they are people too.. whatever level or amounts of money are involved it is only due to the positive comminication from the other competitors that involves observers in a way that they will want to come back and do it again and maybe even bring a friend!

It's amazing how the same issues seem to be occurring all over the show. I'm currently riding in South Africa and we have just started paying observers. Previously they only got a packed lunch and a thank you from the riders.

This seems to be enough for the few hard core regulars that we have, but it's always nice to receive something just because you are valued.

In my opinion the observers are priceless as you can't have a trial with out them, but unfortunatly there will always be limiting factors to how much or what you can offer them as a thank you.

Unfortunatly with the sport being rather small over here we battle for quality observers, so we are hoping that by offering a small payment more people will be willing to observe and the over all quality of observing will improve.

Just on riders getting free or discounted rides for providing observers. I feel this is fine if it is a parent of a rider, as they would more than likely be paying for the youngster to ride anyway, but otherwise the observer should be the one to benifit and not the rider.

It's amazing how the same issues seem to be occurring all over the show. I'm currently riding in South Africa and we have just started paying observers. Previously they only got a packed lunch and a thank you from the riders.

This seems to be enough for the few hard core regulars that we have, but it's always nice to receive something just because you are valued.

In my opinion the observers are priceless as you can't have a trial with out them, but unfortunatly there will always be limiting factors to how much or what you can offer them as a thank you.

Unfortunatly with the sport being rather small over here we battle for quality observers, so we are hoping that by offering a small payment more people will be willing to observe and the over all quality of observing will improve.

Just on riders getting free or discounted rides for providing observers. I feel this is fine if it is a parent of a rider, as they would more than likely be paying for the youngster to ride anyway, but otherwise the observer should be the one to benifit and not the rider.

Definately agree about the quality of the observers. Idealy no observer would be a father / mother/ mate of any rider in the event but at the moment thats not practical.

My suggestion of paying