Sherco 125 Clutch

waltergallons

Hello.....

I've just aquired a 2007 Sherco 125 for my son the other day. When I got it there was no clutch, in that when the bike was running and you put it in gear, the bike would surge forward even with the clutch lever pulled in. I drained the oil, and stripped the clutch down and noted that all the plates were stuck together and had to be prised apart from each other. Gave the plates a clean in petrol, coated them in fresh gear oil and put the clutch back together. I've put 450ml of fresh IPONE Box2 Synthesis oil back into the engine (as recommended by dealer).

I ran the engine for about 15 minutes, and noted that initially the clutch was dragging almost as bad as before. I then put the bike up on the paddock stand with the back wheel up, and ran the bike in 4th gear. Clutched it and applied the back brake a few times then noted the drag had reduced.

Of note is that the plates looked in good condition. The clutch basket slots didn't have any nasty ruts or grooves in them, although some weren't perfectly straight, maybe best described as having a gentle ripple where the plates had been rubbing against them.

However, I can't stop the drag completely and the bike will creep forward even with me sat on it. Do you think the drag will diminish if the bike was taken out and ridden for a while ? The trouble being that where I live there's no scope for that unless we go to a trial.

Thank you

well first of all. put the bike in gear and ride it as if doing some slow speed turns! Then you need to put it up and down through the gears using the clutch on each change!

If that doesnt work you will probably be heading to buy a new clutch so try this. put in top gear. 5th on a stock sherco 125 gearbox. and try keeping the clutch in with throttle half open. If none of that free's it up i have no idea what will!

do all that on the paddock stand with the back wheel off the ground

jamie!

Sticking after sitting is pretty normal. If the lever adjustment and pull are OK and it still creeps a lot after breaking loose, you will need new plates(both fibre and steel) to operate properly due to warpage. ;)

Edited by copemech

Hello.....

I've just aquired a 2007 Sherco 125 for my son the other day. When I got it there was no clutch, in that when the bike was running and you put it in gear, the bike would surge forward even with the clutch lever pulled in. I drained the oil, and stripped the clutch down and noted that all the plates were stuck together and had to be prised apart from each other. Gave the plates a clean in petrol, coated them in fresh gear oil and put the clutch back together. I've put 450ml of fresh IPONE Box2 Synthesis oil back into the engine (as recommended by dealer).

\

Before doing anything else, make sure there is a little slack where the adjustment screw on the lever meets the plunger pin that goes through the rubber boot at the master cylinder and that the piston is fully returning back to the stop at the circlip (under the boot). It's the number one problem I see with dragging clutches.

Jon

I've tried tinkering around again with it bearing in mind your suggestions, but still can't sort it. It's going back to the shop to get sorted next week. Won't get it back until a week next Thursday. I'll post what the diagnosis is then.

Thanks for the responses.