Tranny Fluid...

clarkp

I have a suspicion that ATF causes the clutch fibre plates to swell thus causing all clutches to drag since there wouldn't be enough 'throw' to adequately separate the plates. Anyone have any experience with this? Is this on track or am I smoking left-handed tobacco?

I've switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic and away from Torco MTF 75 - the Mobil 1 seems to help a little with the clutch dragging.

I think a wholesale switch to new fibre AND new steel plates along with the Mobil 1 should give me a perfect clutch for the upcoming fall season.

What are you running in your bike?

i use to use castrol mtx and that was rubish my clutch never use to work untill you rode the bike for about 30 minutes now im using pj1 clutch tunner light 80w it works briliant clutch frees off in seconds and once warm does not drag

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It works great all year round. Last weekend at the Trialstasia event it was 100 deg F. Not a rattle from the gearbox was heard. The stuff works great in the winter also.

Edited by dfwilson

Interesting reply, Charlie... when I installed the SureFlex clutch plates in my old Montesa, several of the fibre 'pucks' had delaminated from the plate - I was never sure why. I do know that the previous owners of both my Montesa and my Beta had used ATF in the transmission.