Loosing Teeth

boner

Have you thought about adding some flywheel weight?

No I haven't, what would the effect be & what are the advantages?

To be honest my lads bike seems to have a fair amount of 'go' in it, not much it wont get up and am only trying the new sprocket ratio as it seems highly recommended by others.

Thanks

Tom

My son's Rookie would stall easily unless you kept it revved up. I wanted to put a flywheel weight on it but never got around to it. We put 4 lbs on his Mecatechno Amigo and it transformed the little motor, you couldn't stall it!

The momentum of the flywheel made it pull much better off the bottom. Yes it revved slower, but not too bad.

• 3 years later...

Anybody know what size chain the bike takes? 415? 420? The existing one just says "Regina" on it. I checked the Regina website but of course they don't include the Boy in their list of motorcycles.

Once I changed the clutch on my son's TXT Boy 50 to two springs, the gearing became perfect. Previously (with all four springs) it had to rev so high for the chutch to engage that it was going too fast for riding in sections. My son is about 24kg. Maybe a much heavier rider might need different gearing on hills.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have been through the same with my boys 50 txt, its a 2010 model.

The things I have done are:

Cut the airbox so the bike breathes better (free!!)

Put a 60 tooth sprocket on the back, this is also worth while, and made the bike a lot slower, but I noticed that my boy was really jerky on it, reving it to make it go then suddenly it was taking off too quick....

I changed one of the 1.5mm clutch plates to a thicker 2mm (standard is 2 x 1.5mm and 1 x 2mm). This made the bike really smooth off the bottom, really made a difference to how he could ride a tight turn in a section.... but.....as he improved it became not enough power to get up a climb, I think this is why they rev so much before the clutch releases.... so I removed the thicker clutch plate and put back to standard.

In the last few months we have been running a 9 tooth on the front, so its 9 on the front and 60 on the back, but to be honest my boy says this is the best so far.... due to it being geared down its slower so when it revs then the clutch disengages it dosent take off so quick.

My boy can now ride in a section under control and even pop a little wheelie to get up on a rock, the only down side is it runs out of steam on a big climb, but to be honest this has only happened in between sections and he still made it to the top but his friend on a txt 50 as well seemed to go up it a bit quicker.

Got to add though that 2nd gear is pretty useless still in any kind of section only good for riding in between sections and really wont pull him up any kind of hill unless hes flat out at the bottom.

Overall now really happy with the bike.... hope this helps you out a bit...