Fantic 240

spud

Does anyone know what kind of comparisons can be made between the Fantic and say a Beta Rev 3 or Gas Gas pro to the following. And then what improvements can be made to the Fantic to make it feel more modern with out breaking the piggy bank?

1) Brakes

2) Power

3) Weight

4) Suspension

5) Riding postion

not sure i follow, theres about 20 years difference, and hydraulic clutch, discs etc etc. If you wnat to have fun against moden bikes, ride as is. maybe a 243 or 303 engine. Even a 305. Add a 300 drum at the front or even a disc. Put section forks on it if you want, I did........but its still a twin shock.

Fantic or rev3 270....the rev will always win. I know cos I got both.......

:D Oh come on Lee ! at my last event a month or so ago , I did quite respecable for the only twinshock entry at a modern event ! I rode the same int. line as the modern bikes and did pretty good ... But at this event the frozen ground and snow fall was the great equalizer ! I beleive under the conditions we rode in my drum brakes may have given me an advantege and I usually ride nostop events so it may have been more to my style , cause insome of the sections stopping or hopping /whatever on the really bad traction ,got you a 5 or 3 at least .

But I must say you are right , I've done things on a modern bike that my fantic (or any twinshock) Just flat are not capable of doing !

Thats why I'm saving for a new FANTIC !!! or a sy250f just because by the time I have the cash the rumered fantic 4t may be available , and I fell in love with the scorpa4t I've ridden . And I just want enough time on a modern bike so I can see if gravity really is just a theory or a fact !!!

Glenn :thumbup:

OOPPS ! in reply to the original ? I've shaved maybe 6lbs off my bike , fit modern pegs ,lower and further back , K&N airfilter in stock airbox , Falcon shocks , WES progressive front springs , ERE fatbars with tag adapters (raised bars 15mm or so ) , 200 fantic top clamps , Late model coil , iridium plug , New rewound statorplate and trigger, OKO flatslide carb and the porting on my bike isn't quite stock ... next maybe a reedvalve conversion for the 240 motor ??? BUT IT WILL NEVER be a modern bike !!! Although it is a blast to ride !!!!

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

No "Problems" as such. The shaft on the section yokes is a little short, dont try and raise the top you too much. Headbearings used are not std 32005 but 30204. I use a scorpa mudguard carrierer and made a cable to suit. std front wheel was used with 6003 wheel bearings. Watch out though as these bearings are 1mm narrower than std. (17mm) A 1mm thich shim has to be put under the brake side wheel bearing so the achor plate still presses on it.

The std section spindle will need turning on the speedo side (spacer) so it will fit. The 300 front brake plate will need drilling for the bigger diameter axle.

here are pictures of a friends 300 with Marzocchis like mine.

cimg4476jv3ws5.jpg

cimg4539un7kf2.jpg

cimg4551mw0rd3.jpg

Edited by Lee Harris

I ride both a 240 Fantic ( I have two) and a Beta Rev 3 250/08 - As others have said, you can't compare the two, but the Fantic is a Superbike when compared to some of the other old twin shocks like the SherpaT,Ossa MAR etc. - They have amazing power for a 212cc engine, and it is possible to pull 3rd gear in some of the same sections as the Beta - thats the only similarity.