Brakes

axulsuv

Both 240 and 300 have exactly the same amount of brake shoe contact area. The trouble is centralising the shoes to use the maximum amount of brake area, the 'works' Fantic riders had a 'trick' of enlarging the centre hole , centralising the shoes. The 300 backplate, was a progression of this modification, loosen the small nut, apply brake, to centralise shoes, and retighten. It just goes to prove what a progressive company Fantic were, no other manufacturer, using gremacia hubs had this update. 1985 saw the introduction of disc brakes, so ending the development of drums. 240 and 300 brakeshoes are different, and should not be interchanged, always order and make sure you've got the appropriate shoes for the correct backplate. Works 300's seemed to prefer the 240 backplate, probably because it was lighter and more tucked away, with regard to the brake anchor point.

Edited by ask greeves

And Greeves ; Just what do you mean by enlarge the the center hole ? What center hole ?

Thanks , Glenn

I'm interested to know as well.

Does anyone know how i can fit a set of fat bars and who is the best person to talk with when buying. I'm also interested in new set of footrests and hangers because what i'm looking to acheive is a similar Handbar-to-Footpeg height as a Beta Rev3. If anyone knows the answer i'm very interested as i'm due to buy a Fantic 240 tomorrow.

Sorry about my 'vague' reply, regarding centre hole, I was refering to the hole in the middle of the backplate, where the spindle goes through. Enlarging the hole by 20thou or more, this allows the brake shoes to centralise themselves in the brake drum, allowing maximum contact area. Assemble front wheel assembly into forks, leaving front wheel spindle loose, apply front brake, then tighten front wheel spindle, this centres the shoes in the drum..It's just the inherent design of drum brakes, trying to expand a smaller diameter into a larger diameter, engineers tried to overcome the problems by 'twin' leading shoes, and even quad leading shoe. There's probably room for improvement, by using modern materials, that could deform to accept the diameter of the drum and still retain friction properties, therefore utilising the full swept area (spongy kevlar maybe !). All developement ceased with the introduction of disc brakes.

Edited by ask greeves

Thanks Greeves !

And Spud contact Chris at http://www.classictrial.co.uk/ He modifys stock 240 top clamps for fat bars ,or you can do as I did and locate a set of 200 top clamps which move the bars forward a bit and then get bolt on fatbar adapters . As for footpegs , Chris can help on that front also , and you can locate my previous post on here about the peg swap on my bike . Modern pegs was/is one of the best mods I've made to mine ,as the stock pegs are quite narrow and most likely a bit knackered by now ...

When you get it home 1st thing you should do is pull off the seat and tank to inspect the frame for cracks in the steering neck braces between the top frame tube and the 2 lower tubes ... If the bike was actually ever used as intended it will be cracked and/or already repaired ! If it is this is a good time to change the fork angle abit too !

Good Luck and have fun with your 'new' redhead girlfreind !!! They are very rewarding old girls ....

Glenn :rolleyes:

(search trialcast ) for my peg post ...

Edited by axulsuv