Sherco Idling Problems

hey guys,

Im havin a wee bit of a problem, my sherco will just not idle, i wait for the bike to warm right up and it still wont idle, ive adjusted the tickover screw a few to all imagiable positions and no difference,

my thermostat is broke so fan is on all the time.

could this be causing it and how?

Hi there, i used to have the same problem with mine.. i fixed it by cleaning the petrol filters carb and putting fresh fule in.. there is a filter in the tank remove the petlock and unscrew the black plastic filter and clean it . then remove the filter from the carb. this is a small mesh one from behind the bit the fule line goes that onto the carb. while you are there give the carb a clean by removeing the float bowl an blowing throug the jets. put it back together, put some new fule in and it should be better. sorry if any of that was a bit vague. if i is not any better get in touch.

cheers for the quick reply,

clean the carb after ever ride up here, its all rivers, burns and lots of mud!

umm havent checked the fuel filters yet though, will check after school tomorrow if i dont go to the scottish.

Edited by shercoman2k8

Usually, you may never see the offending dirt or water after disassembly! It is usually related to a blockage in the pilot (small)jet circuit. The carby's need to be cleaned immaculate, including the banjo inlet screen on the dellorto, and all passages and jets blown out with air. You should remove jet so you can see through it.

One drop of water condensation will cause erratic idle fluxuations and low speed running, one spec of sand, you are done! That is just how sensitive this stuff is! Get the picture?

And although I try to practice what I preach does not mean I strip things every ride as I am also lazy, yet dusty conditions here may be just as bad as muddy conditions there. Short bowl vent tubes(1.5-2.0 inch) seem to help keep stuff out as well. First sign of trouble and it is off!

Hope that helps, :o

Well, can you seem to maintain a reasonable idle using the throttle? :wall:

You should really post in the Sherco forum for further input from others I think.

Can you see through the pilot jet?

Edited by copemech

Usually, you may never see the offending dirt or water after disassembly! It is usually related to a blockage in the pilot (small)jet circuit. The carby's need to be cleaned immaculate, including the banjo inlet screen on the dellorto, and all passages and jets blown out with air. You should remove jet so you can see through it.

Copey's got the right idea. One thing to remember is you really need to remove all the jets/tubes you can from the carb and always blow the compressed air in the OPPOSITE direction that it flows in the carb body. I've seen riders just blow air into the bell intake ports, which usually further lodges the offending particles deep inside. Jets should be very carefully checked with a very fine wire (brass if possible, like from a wire brush) that is much smaller than the jet opening so it does not ream out the hole. Sometimes a transparent piece of grit (quartz, for example) will fool the observer into thinking the jet hole is clear and a lot of pilot jets are only .014" in diameter.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...