New (for Us) Gate Trial Format

clarkp

If anyone is looking for a fun (and easy to set for the trials master) diversion to the typical club trial, we here at Tishomingo in Oklahoma have used what we call the Tommi Ahvala gate trial rules about three times now. This style event is a big hit with everyone so far.

Traditional gate trials punish you for bravery so you tend to "ride down" a bit. This style event allows you to take a few chances and not get burned in the process. Hope you like it.

http://www.geocities.com/clarkp4/Ahvala_gate_trial_rules.pdf

Mind you, Clark thinks wearing a skirt with a matching bum bag is the highlight of his day!

But it IS fun to watch! :banana2:

A sober observer is a must, as I never know where I am at, but it is fun! Try it!

If anyone is looking for a fun (and easy to set for the trials master) diversion to the typical club trial, we here at Tishomingo in Oklahoma have used what we call the Tommi Ahvala gate trial rules about three times now. This style event is a big hit with everyone so far.

Traditional gate trials punish you for bravery so you tend to "ride down" a bit. This style event allows you to take a few chances and not get burned in the process. Hope you like it.

http://www.geocities.com/clarkp4/Ahvala_gate_trial_rules.pdf

OutlawSeries_sm.jpg

Modified variation on the concept, that allows the use of a standard scorecard, and doesn't require a clipboard, and an atomic calculator, to figure out the score.

Link: http://www.texastrials.com/subwebs/txtrial...TrialsRules.pdf

Plus, you can continue to try gates, even after dabbing, or a five, as an incentive for a rider to try harder stuff, and gain back points. With either set of rules, the old date trial problem of "one dab loses all" is done away with.

Our local club (South Texas Trials Association) has taken the fun factor even further, by not having a trials master setup the event ahead of time. Instead, we bill our events as "Roll Your Own Trial". One hour prior to the event, we split the riders up into teams. (One team, for each section). Each team is then responsible to layout a section, as they see fit. Since it is a gate trial, nobody is forced to ride anything they don't want to, in case a given team gets a little insane with their section. This added feature of team layout take some stress off the trials master, and teaches club members the fine art of laying out section. In so many clubs, it is only a few guys that have developed that talent, and typically end up doing all the work. The "Roll Your Own" approach spreads the load, and educates new riders as well. We have really been having fun with the format.

Edited by DGShannon

I know you guys picked up on this, but the "roll your own" part seems to fit the club level events well and sounds like real fun!

I hope to do one of these, after summer is over, just too hot now!

The "roll your own " could be extended to other sites (tish) as well! no prob! :wall:

I would like that format pretty good, it seems , to me any way, that I could ride 1 class higher in many sections but there's always a few lines in that class there's no way I would try .So I ride the easier class :huh:

Any 1 else suffer from "I'm not as good a rider as I think I am" :wall: