Gas Gas 280 Txt Pro 2008 Getting Hot, Blowing From Thermostat

brno

Had my Gaser 280 from new and has got hot from the first kick over!!. After running for short period of time it keeps blowing coolant out of the rad cap thermostat, and burns my leg in the process.

Not sure weather the mixture screw is out of setting (but engine and throttle response is good??)

Is the thermostat knackered ??

Is the wrong pilot jet fitted ??

Please help. My leg can't take much more of this ;-)

Ben

Had my Gaser 280 from new and has got hot from the first kick over!!. After running for short period of time it keeps blowing coolant out of the rad cap thermostat, and burns my leg in the process.

Not sure weather the mixture screw is out of setting (but engine and throttle response is good??)

Is the thermostat knackered ??

Is the wrong pilot jet fitted ??

Please help. My leg can't take much more of this ;-)

Ben

My first guess is a malfunctioning inner head o-ring allowing combustion gases to enter the the coolant passages. The thermocouple (it's a sensor switch and does not restrict coolant flow) rarely konks out so soon, but you can check it with a continuity meter and some hot water.

Jon

I will check the jet setting this weekend and see if it is better.

You are right on the "wet" and "sunny" setting. It does get hotter on the "wet" setting especially when doing roadwork.

Anyone know what the mixture screw should be set at (roughly)

The bike did come road legal with lights and digital readout on the handlebars. In the bag supplied to go with the bike when I bought it was another pilot jet? is this the competition jet that I should be using ??

Cheers guys

Ben

hey

you shouldn't use the "wet setting" for road work only in the sections, after a section use dry setting again. Also burning thru muddy sections on full power you should use the dry setting the bike wil get verry hot when u use full power on the wet setting.

regards bob

• 4 years later...

how do you change the settings as my gas gas txt pro 280 is doing them same thanks ben

What year is yours?

Wet & Dry settings are on a switch but only on 2006 model onwards. Only models with Kokusan ignition units fitted, Ducati ignition does not have it.

Edited by richt

• 3 weeks later...

I had a catastrophic thermostat blow-out. Shot coolant onto my leg and burned the hell out of it.

In retrospect, the cooling fan failed and the bike overheated. No wonder I had not heard the fan whine for awile...............

I replaced the fan and installed the Gas Gas USA billet inline universal thermostat (sourced from Europe?, not sure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8hhrcq7oRM

Bike runs better in general now.

Edited by unclejosh