What Carburetor For A Gasgas280?

motoxleo

Hi

I want to buy a Keihin carb for a 280 GasGas (2007) but they are littlebit hard to get where I live. Can I use Keihin carburetor from some Motocross bike for instance?

Thanks

You could, but it would require some modifications and additions ( I converted a KX carb years ago for my JTR370).

The PWK28 was on the KX80 at one time but the problem is that the adjustments are on the wrong side for the GG so everything (idle screw, air screw) would have to be re-drilled and tapped as they are on the right side and face the muffler (and the standard KX jetting is all off for the 280). You'll need the larger manifold, which came on the 96' JTR370 as that bike used a large body Dellorto with a larger spigot and using a standard 26mm PHBL manifold risks splitting it. The cable will need to fit the Keihin (it has a shorter casing) and there are a few other things, like a wedge spacer for the reed cage to keep the Keihin floatbowl off the engine casing etc. Your local dealer should be familiar with the conversion and could get the parts for you, I would imagine. Keihin makes the "special" PWK for GasGas for the Raga and as an aftermarket conversion with all the adjustments on the "correct" side (the carb body has castings on both sides for adjustments).

Jon