Starting The "08" 3.2 4t

wayne thais

I have now ridden the 4T several times and have it adjusted to the point that it "Usually" starts on the first kick after the initial start up (initial start up usually takes 1 - 4 kicks).

Here is what I have done:

1. Replaced the 42 pilot with a 45

2. Set the "Air Screw" at 3/4 turn out

3. Raised the idle speed to a "Fast Idle"

4. Make sure that I am at Top Dead Center before attempting to start it (every time)

5. Always put the bike in neutral

6. Give it a firm solid kick, (EVERY TIME) like starting a big bore twin. If I can, I put my left foot on the left peg, this gives me good leverage.

7. Throttle closed

8. If it does not start on the 4th kick (again this is when it is hot) I open the throttle all the way and kick it through 2 or 3 times, then close the throttle all the way and it usually starts on the next kick.

The engine has NEVER failed to start, even after stalling it, as of yet I have not had it upside down or for that matter I have not had it down, close a couple of times is all.

I am really enjoying this bike, it has just really good power and the suspension is so supple, no hard hits after a drop off, the rear suspension really absorbs those big bumps.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Thais

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot imagine it much worse than when you flame out that Honda. Those silly things don't always want to spring back to life you know, and if it is really bad, you then have to do the Detroit handshake reset procedure to them or they may never light off!

Last time I knackered one of them, a local dealers demo bike, he told me I could not ride it anymore and I owed him $15 for a sparkie! I told him where to shove it, and have not been on one since! :huh:

Suppose I should add the fact that he is also my local Sherco dealer(we are friends), so he just put it on my tab! Oh well, it was worth it to see him kicking himself into exhaustion trying to start it too! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

I rode the bike a lot over the past weekend, we had a trials at out local club and I helped with the set up. I had to start and stop it numerous times, it never gave me any problems, always started, usually on the first kick. I was playing around and made a misque and stalled it (one of the few times) and it took 4 kicks to start.

It just runs so darn well. I was following a mate the other day and found that at the pace he was riding I could just put it in 1st gear and not even touch the clutch, it just pulled me everywhere he went.

Ryan Young came on Saturday and conducted a school and then on Sunday rode the trials, afterwords he rode the 4T in a section that had given him a bit of a problem on the 2T because it was very wet and slick, he cleaned it with no problem, he says the 4T gets traction much better than the 2T and has a decided advantage in wet conditions.

We are in the process of getting our house ready to sell so I am spending an inordinate amount of time getting it in top condition. We are going to downsize from a large house to one that is a bit smaller, instead of a family of 9 it is just the wife and I. Once the house is ready, I will spend more time on the 4T.

It is loosening up nicely and still amazes me on every ride. I think I am a 4T man now.

Wayne

If it was as good as that they would be all over the uk.

Sadly because of the premature launch, and numerous problems with the intitial batch peeps here won't touch them with a barge pole.

Sadly the motesa is awkward to start sometimes as well, but it usually does without too much trouble.

Nigel, are you familiar with Ryan? He is the US importer for Sherco and a very good rider, he was the US National Champion six times and can still hold his own with most of the young hot shots.

He has made the comment the comment that in certain conditions riding the 4T is almost like cheating. Give one a go. I am confident that the importer would make you a deal that if you did not like it he would let you return it and go with a 2 T, I would lay even money that once you got used to it you would stay with the 4T.

Wayne

I am aware of who Ryan Young is, and who you work for? I have great admiration for the guy, but feel that has little to do with the 4t,specially here in the uk.

Do know that the starting is better.

I rode a sherco 4t when they first came out here maybe 3 years ago, bet before you did but didn't like it too much as i had just ditched my 6th sherco and 2t or 4t they have there disadvantages like most, and via gas gas or two I now have a 4rt, which is a better all round bike than most for what I ride.

Nigel you said "which is a better all round bike than most for what I ride", that is where I am at with the 3.2 4T. I no longer compete and just ride for fun. The 3.2 is providing that for me.

Who do you think that i work for?

Wayne

Wayne hasn't worked for RYP for several years but does maintain a good relationship with the importer. The 08 4-t sherco is a vast improvement from when it first come out.

I think you will find its pretty much the same bike, some mods to make it start better?

Do n't think it's just engine mods though Nigel as the original bike was the chrome frame model. The new bike uses the new black frame and the improvement in handling that the adjustable rear shock brought about and also better front forks.

yep, had it for 3 years, was a good improvement over stock i'm no ace but the difference was noticeable. my 4rt is better at the back than anything i've ever had though the ohlins on my gasser was close, but i digress.

The point of this thread is that imho the sherco 4t were it launched today in the state of tune its had would be a lot more of a success had they not let it out unproven and a pig to start.