74 Yamaha Ty 250 Ignition

shooter308

On 6/30/2008 at 2:11 PM, shooter308 said:

I figured I'd check the points, but I have to wait to get a flywheel puller first. What is the gap on the points for these old bikes?

When my best friend had the bike, he sold it to our mutual friend and gave him the title to the bike, a Yamaha service manual, and a flywheel puller. But since he passed away last fall, his wife doesn't know where they are...... :D

Looks like I'll be selling the custom water cooled gaming desktop pc I just built to afford to buy the electronic ignition from bjracing.com...... :hyper:

Shooter 308- 

Unless you are changing the points or condenser you really don't need a flywheel puller. All the adjustments for point gap and cleaning can be done ( it's a PITA) thru the slot in the flywheel.  Feetupfun or one of the other guys can give you more details on the timing.

On 6/30/2008 at 2:24 PM, shooter308 said:

Thanks for the info Tony..... :D

So if I read your post correctly, I can check the points gap and clean them without taking off the flywheel?

That would be nice to be able to at least get it running while I wait for the new tune up kit to show up that I ordered.

Thanks again,

Doug

Yes you can- that's the simple answer- you will probably still want a flywheel puller and some way to hold onto the flywheel while you are wrenching on the puller-  But DO NOT restrict the crank shaft from the other side or the piston in order to tighten or loosen the flywheel nut.  You can easily knock the crank shaft out of alignment that way.  

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2008 at 10:32 PM, shooter308 said:

I got it figured out. I don't have a manual for the bike yet, but I cleaned the points up really nice, and then adjusted them to where they would at least open up. Then I adjusted them to .015" and re-gapped the spark plug to .022" and it has a nice healthy blue spark to it now. It seems to run really good now, so I'll be teaching my wife how to ride a motorcycle again..... :hl:

.15" no?