Which Bike For A Kid?

jcbrewer

My son is 12 years old, almost 13. He is 4 feet 10 inches and around 75 pounds. He is small-framed but reasonably athletic. Plays soccer. He's been riding a clutched CRF80 for a couple of years and is a pretty good bicycle trials rider. I ride trials and have a GasGas 300. We are looking for a trials motorcycle for him and would like to get the correct machine. I have come across a 2003 GasGas80 for a good price. I haven't seen this bike and don't know anything about it but I think it is a full-size machine, in which case it is the same size as my 300Pro. Standing on the pegs his waist is just barely above the level of the handlebars.

So what is the 'right' bike for my son? Would it be the diminutive GasGas50 Boy? Or a full size 80? Or one of the incredibly rare mid-sized bikes. Sherco? GasGas? Beta? Other?

And where do I find one of these machines in the States? Or could I import a used bike from across the pond?

Thanks much,

John

My lad's a year younger, and skinny as a rake. Maybe about same height though.

He has a Sherco 80 with the smaller forks, and full size wheels (Been on it about a year now). I'd say you definitely don't want to go smaller than that.

As he's 12 (nearly 13) he would definitely be B class in this country so able to ride a 125.

Size wise, my lad doesn't look daft on my 290 (only difference is the bigger forks), although the engine scares the socks off him, and the lighter forks of the 80 are an advantage when man handling the bike around.

To give him a bit of growing room I'd be looking towards a 125, but maybe the 80 will be enough to get him going.

No doubt others will have other views, and I'd be persuaded, but above is my view on it.

Edited by bikespace

I would get him a 125 or detune a 200, the bike is going to be about the same its just the 125 don't have alot of low end. If he's going to compete a 125 if he's going to play ride with you the 200. Just my opinion.

My son is just 12 at 4' 6" and weighs 86 lbs . Last year it was 4'3" and 68 lbs. He has been on a beta 80 since july 06. I have removed one fork spring, and put a smaller set of renthal bars on. The stock ones are a little wide in the middle, when you cut them down you have to turn them forward to clear the master cylinder hoses. I put the bars back as far as I could to make it easier for him to reach when turning tight. I backed off the spring preload collar all the way. I cut the rear shock bottom out bumper in half.

He can ride my Beta 125 and sherco 125 just fine. But he is not big enough to HANDLE them. Meaning when in a section if he has to move the bike by brute force, the 80 is his current level. It would not be possible on the 125's.

I own a motorcycle shop. And I have found that if you buy a bike for a child to grow into, the first time it scares them, they lose interest in riding. Buy a used 80 that fits him. sell it when he grows out of it and lose very little money.

He is just now to the point in his riding ability that he is needing the other fork spring and more rear shock travel. Which the new beta 80 has or maybe even the Gas Gas.

Edited by paul_thistle

And I have found that if you buy a bike for a child to grow into, the first time it scares them, they lose interest in riding. Buy a used 80 that fits him. sell it when he grows out of it and lose very little money.

Edited quote, but that too me is the comment that I make to most fathers buying trials bikes for their kids.

I made the mistake first time out, and paid for it for years.

I have also seen folks that had kids that were familar riding other bikes, and the parents thought they would "step them up" on a trials bike, and usually that is a mistake.

All that said and done, if the child is comfortable and wants the bigger bike, it can sure be helpful.

Not too be rude or nosy, but have you asked your son what he wants? I would suggest that no matter how much you think one is the "right" bike, you will be facing an uphill battle if your son does not feel the same way.

I myself am partial to the Sherco Camp, and have had about one of most, and a couple of some :wall:

If I was making a guess, I would say a Sherco 125 with full size wheels and tires. Time spent getting comfortable trail riding etc.

Just saw you are in Alabama.

Drive up sometime, there are two Sherco 125's and a Sherco 200 sitting quietly in the trailer that need to get ridden, I have 9.5 acres and a backhoe so I am sure we can find or make suitable obstacles. Spend a day, and let him see where he wants to go.

931-801-7921

Edited by Alan Bechard

My dad made this mistake with me (a too-large bike) and I didn't ride for years. He still looks back on it and thinks I was a fraidy-cat. It was a 1972 Yamaha GT80. I was 7 years old and had never ridden a motorbike, and certainly not one with a clutch. I couldn't touch the ground on either side. Couldn't start the bike. Couldn't pick it up if it fell over. So of course the few times I did try to ride it I wound up getting thrown hard. If he'd have bought me a Honda Z-50 I would have ridden the wheels off of that thing.

So when I started buying bikes for my kids about 5 years ago I started with a Suzuki JR50. The smallest bike I could find. As a result, they have never had a significant accident, built their skills slowly but on a solid foundation, and continue to enjoy riding. My oldest now rides a full-size KDX200 or WR250. (But I'm trying to get him into trials too!)

My youngest son doesn't want a full-sized bike. Or at least doesn't like the idea. Even though he has ridden my 300Pro around the yard. If I'd have known how much power it had I wouldn't have let him though. My buddy tweaked the throttle on accident and buried himself in the back of my Expedition. He spent a week in intensive care and now has a face full of titanium and polyethylene. But that's another story.

So, Alan, I think I'll take you up on your offer. We are in Huntsville, about an hour and a half south of Nashville. I too am partial to Shercos though couldn't find one when I got to looking. At least not one that I could afford. But my GasGas is very rideable and so far, quite reliable. I'll need to block off a Sunday to drive up there. I wouldn't mind straddling that 200 either. :thumbup:

-John

256-658-4881

Edited by JCBrewer

Just let me know.

This Sunday is fine if you want (my kids are in Germany though if You / your son want to ride with other kids)

Sunday 27th is sketchy but could work if you wanted.

The 3rd works for me, but my kids wont be here

The 10th is WW Kayaking in Nantahala so that does not work for me.

Anything after is open right now, so just pick one.

I have a fair variety of stuff, so if desired, we can swap pieces around (black throttles etc)

I am an hour north of Nashville I-24 exit 8.

AL;

Missed seeing you this year at the Youth Nationals. JOhn, I was just in Huntsville a couple weeks ago now, if you had known about the YOuth Nationals, it would have been perfect to bring your kids to, just to check it out and try some bikes.

Steve