Kehin Carb

copemech

Well, the new carb finally arrived. Ryan was out of them for a while.

Came with 45/125 jetting and a JJH needle, supposedly for the Sherco but first problem was it did not fit!

Break out the Dremel and cut off the unused standpipe on the bottom of the bowl, that's better!

Cut 4mm off the original cable tube on top and adjust cable so that throttle will shut(barely)!

Found perfect intake hose, carb to airbox, from an aircraft, reinforced hose is a tight fit on carb and perfect fit on airbox. Length is correct also.

These hoses are commercially available for about 2 bucks!

Due to tight fit on card, connection of hose to airbox is a bit of a struggle. Not the preferred method(usually fitting box with hose to carb is easier)!

With fuel tank fitted, have to rotate carb to near verticle so that choke will clear fuel petcock by .5mm, this puts bowl vent hose in a bind hitting muffler and closing off hose vent.

Test start in garage ok, set idle and air screws runs OK. GOODNIGHT!

Next morning testride, bike starts OK on choke. After a bit, starts to hesitate, and die. Restart ok and then died completely after warm, would not restart. Inspection of sparkie revealed overrich condition.

Scratched head, then ass, then took out makita and drilled out the blanked out bowl vent nipple on the LEFT side if the carb and installed new sparkie.

Started and ran perfectly, test ride(in aft yard) GREAT! Very smooth and controllable with good power.

I should probably tear everything back apart now to be sure there are no metal fleks in the bottom of the carb from the drilling. Also need vent hose for left side.

Im gonna go find meself a Cold Beer now!

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Forgot to add:

There was also a unused nipple on the front(manifold) side of the carb throat that had to be blocked(a manifold vacume port i suppose) with the use of a short section of the bowl overflow hose and a short screw inserted as a a block.

Nigel is working on sourcing the intake hoses for you blokes in the UK as I gave him the info and you will have to purchase them from him.

On my bike, I found it to be a perfect fit, 45mm id x50mm length, and due to the extremely tight fit of the reinforced hose on the carb it would NOT come off once installed, negating the need for a larger band clamp as the stocker is too small on the carb end. With airbox in place,the unit is sealed very well and cannot move. I considered installing a Zippie on it but it is not really neccessary(weight savings you know!)

That is what I like about the Sherco, simple and works well and reliable, looks good too! The Jap carb is just more precise a device as compared to the Dellorto.

I am interisted to see if it prevents the occasional nose down fuel sloshing with resultant engine die out that occurs if you do not keep the revs up with the Dellorto. I have heard some say that they have not experienced this, but both of my recent 2.9's have done this on occasion.

Enough for now, Cheers!

MC

ps- The Keihin does not have the fuel inlet screen of the Dellorto so a inline fuel filter should be considered mandatory! :rolleyes:

I've been using the Keihin on various bikes for 8 years now. I tried it on an 01 290 sherco & it turned it into a rocket..........I rode to the end of my drive, turned round, back into the garage & ripped it off.

Its now fitted to a 280 GG Pampera - but thats another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as a report after riding three trials the Keihin definatally seems to work better, although it has not improved my ability to ride.

A major side benefit that I noticed was a major increase in power on the loop when running in 4th gear when at those speeds when 4th is normally too high and 3rd is too low of a gear. All Sherco riders know the feeling sort of 123,,,4,,5 on the gearing.

Now it pulls like a freight train in 4th even at very low revs and feels like that gear you were missing was never really lost! It obviously flows better in this range.

Very smooth and controlable!

A bit of a ping in the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle range is an indication that I probably need to raise the needle a notch or so from center.

Cheers to all,

:angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Al, are you going to go to the Keihin?

If you do you will want to start with a 48 pilot and a 120 main. That is what David Chaves recommends and what I have also found to work well at sea level in the midwest USA.

David also uses a piece of automotive radiator hose. I have a couple of ones that I got from the GG parts distributor a long time ago. I don't know where he gets them.

The original post called the installation a pain in the ***, I really don't agree. It is a fairly straight forward installation but does take some patience. I have installed the Keihin on probably 8 bikes with no problems.

Wayne

Sorry Alan, I forgot to put it here.

Intake air connecting hose fits Continental (TCM) C-90, 0-200, 0-300 engines.

Part #22800

Superior air parts P/N SA22800

Any small aircraft mechanic can get these for you!

Or go to www.chiefaircraft.com or call them at 800-447-3408

Cost a couple of bucks each so shipping would probably be more than the part.

:o

Thanks Mark, hey, that sounds like me on occasion!

I doubt I will on my bike Wayne, unless something comes up, but I like to have the information, and you never know, I may pick one up to have in the trailer next time I am at an FBO.

Always something to learn along the way.