Ossa Information Search

chrisb

hi,

I have recently acquired an Ossa trial bike, in very poor shape,that I hope to restore.In order to find as much info about it as possible,I have looked at a couple of frame no. reference lists on relevant websites and can't seem to locate it.The number I have is B410483. Can anyone help? I know it's a 1976 model and assume it's a Mick Andrews Replica.

I live in France and the bike has been in this country from at least 1982 if not from new.I will,no doubt,have many questions as the restoration contnues that I hope forum members might be able to help me with.Until then thanks for any replies about this or anything else that takes your fancy. chris.

Chris

Maybe the number is actually B440483 and the stamping of the second number was a bit poorly done in which case it would be an Explorer (and the frame will look very much like an MAR).

A decent set of photos would be helpful for identifying your bike. I suggest you include photos showing the front mount for the rear mudguard, the wheel rims, the fork sliders and a close-up side view of the swingarm.

Regards

David

David,

Thanks for your reply.

The number is definitely B41048...,the only small doubt is about the last number(on the frame at least)which seems to be a 3,although there looks like the letter z superimposed.The same number,with the prefix M appears on the motor,although I don't have it here with me at the moment to confirm any possible questionable marking,and on the log book.

Your idea of photos seems a good one,I will try and sort that out,but I'm a relative novice on the computer front,so I"ll seek advice on that too. Thanks again Chris

I don't think Ossa's numbering system was documented accurately because I have a couple of bikes whose numbers are missing from the ranges shown in the ID charts too. One for a '75 350 MAR which starts 43 and one for a Green '80 250 which starts 700. Both are genuine numbers that the bikes were registered with and the engine/frame numbers match. Maybe yours is another range that is missing from the chart.

If it is definitely a '76 model it could be either a 250 or 350. Assuming it no longer has its original decals (green for 250, red/green for 350) they look identical other than the cylinder fins in the 350 have cut-outs machined into them, the 250 fins are solid. It should have angled (like a Majesty) as opposed to upright rear shocks. If it's an early '76 model it will have a short chrome front pipe that goes straight up and over the head. Later '76 has a longer pipe that comes round the side of the frame before going over the head and it will also have a longer tail pipe.

Difficult to guess what you have really, have a look at this site which has brochure pictures of some models and see if you can recognise yours (although it lists the '75 350 as '76)

Brochure pictures

Or this one which has a correct picture of the '76 bike - select the Ossa Gallery link in the Pictures and Links section

Ossa site

Edited by Woody