Sherco Rear Shock

bikespace

Well I thought I may have been able to do this much earlier with my weight, but on the second day of this years Manx 2 Day I managed to turn my 290 in to a rigid. It's taken me 5 years, but my Olle shocker is now dead.

I was already thinking about getting an upgraded spring to carry my bulk around, so with that in mind, any recommendations? I've seen the uprated springs on trickbits site. Are there shockers out there which come with uprated springs to save me buying the whole unit, then buying extra spring? Can I order an uprated unit complete with spring from Rathmells for instance? Or can I just buy the damper, then buy the spring separate?

I've seen talk of different oils for heavier weights? Any idea?

Or is there another shock I should be looking at? (Kinell **** off :D - I don't want one off a Hummer :D )........unless you've got one handy :D

Any idea what price people are paying for replacement shocks?

How dead it is ? If a seal blew up, it might be possible to have it rebuilt. I had one leaking and had it rebuilt in a suspension shop.

As for a choice of replacement, depending on what year model you have, you could buy another Oll

I'll be stripping it off tomorrow to see what's actually happened to it.

There's people advertising on Ebay at the moment, to recondition SHerco suspension. They may be talking about Ohlins from the Enduro, but I'll give them a ring and see what the deal is once I've got mine off. It was actually their advert that mentioned re-oiling to customer weight, so I was wondering what difference they would make to it.

I may well look at the reconditioning, especially if someone on here knows someone who has experience with the Olle shocks.

I'm guessing the TRP is going to be more expensive? But will have a look at that too - thanks!

Sounds like the Olle is a junker, the TRP should be just fine with the heavy spring, but it only costs a bit more to go first class with the Ohlins set for you!

Not much choice now, just dive in! Either way you will probably wish you had done it before! :D

I'll be stripping it off tomorrow to see what's actually happened to it.

There's people advertising on Ebay at the moment, to recondition SHerco suspension. They may be talking about Ohlins from the Enduro, but I'll give them a ring and see what the deal is once I've got mine off. It was actually their advert that mentioned re-oiling to customer weight, so I was wondering what difference they would make to it.

I may well look at the reconditioning, especially if someone on here knows someone who has experience with the Olle shocks.

I'm guessing the TRP is going to be more expensive? But will have a look at that too - thanks!

Mail me your address and you can try my reigar one if you like, springs available for that or preload it and then you can adjust from there.

Might not suit you since I'm guessing you're in UK but...

Stadium Suspensions in Quebec, Canada do rebuild the Oll

Dabster - as always, very generous.

PM me if you're thinking of selling it. Just let me know the price. I really have no idea what these reiger's are worth, but I know damn well I can trust you. Is there a spring on it? Was it fitted to a Sherco already?

I have to admit I don't want to over spend on the bike, not because I want to skimp on it particularly, but my 04 I would say is worth about a grand these days. I'd probably be fairly dumb to spend half of that again on new suspension, but I'll have to decide that yet.

I actually stripped it off last night - where the powder coating on the spring had got damaged, the water had got in there and the spring was really rusted up, even though it looked pretty good from the outside.

Well it looked like it was hanging on by a thread somehow, and when I took the spring off it just fell in two, so I was lucky I had any suspension left at all towards the end of the trial.

What I could do with now is some knowledge of the damper itself. What should I expect to see/feel with the damper. If I compress the damper, it feels fairly smooth, and there is definitely a fair bit of resistance. I didn't expect it to push back out on it's own - i.e. there is some pressure forcing the damper to extend (although still damped).

How do I tell if the damper is duff while off the bike?

Sorry - I have no experience with monoshock dampers at all, so don't be afraid to teach me to suck eggs, you won't be.

What I'm thinking at the moment, is that if I get one of these uprated springs I can maybe re-use the old damper, but even if I can't the uprated spring will be used anyway on a new damper.

I seem to recall hearing that the heavy springs for the older shocks were hard to find now. I think the diameter is different than the newer versions. You may have to scrounge to find one.

Reguardless, if you are a really big boy, well over 200lbs , you are still best advised to get a heavy spring reguardless of the shocker. May just change your entire perception of the bikes handling qualities. :D I say this still knowing several LARGE experts on the stockers with no problems. At least up to the point where I set them a few sections with some big jump offs! :D

BS, recall this?

Jan 30 2007, 12:55 PM Post #13

Group: Members

Member No.: 4029

Bike: Sherco 290

Ok, here is an update on the spring discussion -

After reading your comments and weighing up the options, I decided to contact 'Trick-Bits' to have one made. I spoke to a guy called Ian, who was very helpful.

I sent my old spring to him for exact measurement and he set about making a new one. My old spring was away for five days, returned to me via recorded delivery. Exactly two weeks later the new one arrived, powder coated in yellow.

It's now been refitted and I have been trying the bike out - what a difference! The bike doesn't sit down at the back as much and the whole thing seems alot smoother and controlled. (This is compared to winding the spring up with the bottom adjustment ring).

Although, I haven't had chance to really put the bike through its paces - its a case of so far so good !

If any of you are thinking of uprating your spring, give Ian a ring, he very helpful and the product is top class !

I hope this is of use.

RR

65 quid?