Sherpa Help Needed

branc

Hi all

Just picked up a sherpa model 80 with a sammy miller replica frame, needs quite a bit of work and is going to be a long term project I think.

One of the worse bits is the threads on the barrel where the exhaust screws in are gone, can these be repaired?

cheers

Hugh's Bultaco shows that for round cylinder engines at $75.00

http://www.bultaco.com/TechTips.htm

I'd think that any major vintage Bultaco shop probably offers a similar service. You could weld it all up and machine a new thread or maybe put in a big thread insert. Or consider converting to spring mounting with a slip fit exhaust.

cheers,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Sorry Shameless plug I know! I used to do this for Jeff at Mainly Spanish when he was in business, as well as Brake Relining and also manufactured and supplied all the 2mm oversize flanges to Hughs Bultaco. It's Hughs asking me for more that has rekindled my interest, made me get off my a*** and thinking about riding again instead of just admiring my bikes.

I probably could be presuaded!

Wayne.....

If its the same thread size as an OSSA you can buy them (aluminium inserts for welding in place) off the shelf from Keith Lynas in the US. I will go and check the sizes of both.

Yes I just screwed an OSSA header nut into a Bultaco M27 barrell - perfect fit.

Edited by feetupfun

The Ossa one is a LOT shorter than the Bultaco flange nut, but you are right they are both M56x1.50 thread. I have both types.

Edit: I'll try to insert a picture to show the differences.

ex_flanges_mar_sherpa_std_sherpa_os.jpg

MAR is the rusty one just removed from a bike in my unit. The other two are Std and Oversize Bultaco Flange Nuts.

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

• 3 months later...
Hi all

Just picked up a sherpa model 80 with a sammy miller replica frame, needs quite a bit of work and is going to be a long term project I think.

One of the worse bits is the threads on the barrel where the exhaust screws in are gone, can these be repaired?

cheers

Hi all

cheers

Hi , After you have the threads repaired .Use a exhaust nut for a pursang. The one for a slip in pipe with springs to hold the head pipe in.End of problem you never have to remove the nut again..My model 49 #31 has had this mod done around 1970..

Dean