Gyroscopic Thingy's

austini

Whist watching Bargin Hunt last night in deepest Western Australia I noticed the presenter was on one of those two wheeled standup gyroscopic scooter thingy's.

Question is could one of these be adapted for trials, or has any gyroscopic device ever been fitted to a trials bike or any motorcycle for that matter?

Looking at the Australian rule book there is no rule that whould block such a device, but im sure after i've i've clinched my first world crown there would be :iamwithstupid:

feetupfun Posted Today, 07:29 AM

Yes that would be great. I would love to be able to do away with having a side stand.

I have done away with the side stand, But lucky for me all the places I ride have natural kickstands around. (trees)

:iamwithstupid:

Here is a philosophical question. Would having the Gyroscope thingie be considered cheating?

It takes away the rider's need to have balance and balance is definitely a part of the sport.

Just a question.

This is an awesome idea and i have been thinking about this for a long time.

Currently your fly wheel is acting as a gyro scope (ok not litteraly right this second unless your reading this from your running trials bike. If that is the case then wooahhh that totally rules!) ;)

My good buddy and fellow Team WGASA rider (pete) and I sketched out an idea like this in theory at a bar a couple years ago and we listed off how the Segway does its thing versus how a trials bike does its thing.

I would post about it but i can get way long winded so i will spare you.

--Biff

Whist watching Bargin Hunt last night in deepest Western Australia I noticed the presenter was on one of those two wheeled standup gyroscopic scooter thingy's.

Question is could one of these be adapted for trials, or has any gyroscopic device ever been fitted to a trials bike or any motorcycle for that matter?

Looking at the Australian rule book there is no rule that whould block such a device, but im sure after i've i've clinched my first world crown there would be ;)

New Segway X2........$5595

Materials/labor to adapt..................$2000+-

Ambulance, ER room, reconstructive surgery, nursing costs, medical appliances for mobility etc. after all the

other riders attack you when you pick up your first place trophy...................................................priceless :)

Jon

Ummmm!! good point, perhaps I need to look at some sort of parachute deployment device in case of dismount from one of those 4 metre rock steps, but at least the bike will fall on its tyres.

Looks like the GYROCAT 250 will need as much development as the Xispa, any neonazis out there got a spare V1 for spares or repair?

IIRC, Doug Domokos used an electric motor to keep the front wheel spinning for the gyro effect when he set a world record of 140+ miles in a wheelie.

FWIW, the current director of Product Engineering at Segway once had a KT250. But I don't think that Tony Foale has ever mentioned to me anything about entering a trials event on the KT. I've told him that when I get both the Bultaco and the KT running that he'll have to schedule a trip out here so he can ride one of my bikes in a vintage trial.

cheers,

Michael