06 250 Starting Problems

murph

Hi, im looking for some help, i have recently changed from an 01 315 to an 06 rev 3 250 and this is where my problems begin. Apart from a carb that refuses to keep fuel within im also having major starting problems, it seems i have either got a very weak or no spark at all. Sometimes the bike starts fine but sometimes refuses point blank - any ideas ?

Thanks

Mark

The leaky carb problem is any easy fix - the simplest is to adjust the float height slightly although there are other ways - search this forum for "leaky carb" and you'll find loads of information!

As for the hard starting - assuming the carb's clean and you've tried a new plug (and cleaning the plug cap) then check the electrics. If the bike still has the original switchgear on, that should be the first place to look because the factory kill switch has an annoying tendency to stick on or partially on and there's no effective fix. Bin it and replace with a Yamaha-style 2-wire switch and check all wiring for breaks/shorts etc.

It might be the stator but in my experience (and most long-time Beta owners do have experience in this area), if the stator goes the bike just stops dead and that's it. The problem was supposed to be fixed on the 06 models but the stator went on mine after 3 months. The good news is that JLI are pretty cool dudes and will usually supply you with a stator and CDI on sale or return - give em a call.

Thanks very much ill give Lampkins a call in the morning, rooting around on here I have found what i need for the carb mod so ill give it a try. its a shame the first few weeks of beta ownership have been up and down becasue when its going its so much better than the old Montesa.

Had this problem with my 06 beta when I first got it. Whenever it was even slightly on its side or pointing down hill when stopped, just would not start again. Found that the fuel was being syphoned out of the carb by the tubes coming out of the carb. fixed this by putting holes and slits in the tubes, after being given advice on this forum. Never had a problem after that other than when it goes completly upside down (which is pretty often with my riding :lol: ) hope this helps.