Fork Seals

zoup2nuts

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Fantic Motors, just picked up what I think is between an'82 and '85. The model is a 300 Trial (professional), twinshock, front kick. Its in pretty good shape, very good mechanically, but the fork seals are seeping pretty good and I'd like to find replacements. Any tips on sourcing them in the US (I'm from Colorado)? Also any tips on actually putting them in and getting the old ones out? I've sourced those repairs out in the past, but would like to learn to do this myself.

Also, I've tried to find an on-line manual, but not had any luck yet.

The bike's a hoot to play with and I'm amazed at how quick it is in the top (3) gears...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks, Bob...

Hi Bob ,

Try http://www.tryalsshop.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=21 Mike will most likely have the seals you need in stock . As to replacing them , if you haven't done it before , I'd remove the front wheel , drain the fork oil , Remove the fork legs and take them to a competent shop to replace the seals ... As the sliders are easy to damage when removing the seals , and slowly becoming made of unobtainium. And while you have the forks off. it's a good time to repack the steering headstock bearings . It may turn out much cheaper to pay a pro to replace the seals for you .

If you still want to try it yourself , PM me and I'll try to scan the pages from a Marzocchi manual for you ...

Glenn :huh:

I run 10wt , but thats up to you , and if memory serves I beleive 220cc of oil per leg is the spec ... And remember when putting it all back together , snug down all the fork fastners , axle,pinch bolts , fender bracket etc ... and then bounce the front suspension a few times to eliminate any binding , then torque everything down tight ... Take your time , all the peices are old and a little corroded !!! And go to http://www.r2wtrials.co.uk/ and follow the fantic links , I think Bob has downloadable spec sheets for your bike in english , and if not the 240 pro sheet will be close enough for goverment work ...

Have fun and put some silkoline light gear oil in the tranny , your clutch will thank you !!!

Glenn :thumbup:

Hi Glenn and Lee,

Thanks for both replies, I will be sure to take my time. The seals I have are "seeping" and I've ridden it a few hours and not seen any difference in fork dampening. I'm not going to ride it far or long, is there any percentage in draining the old fluid and adding the proper amount and seeing if maybe I can wait a bit to replace the seals?

Also, the sight glass on the bottom of the engine casing is cloudy and I want to drain the oil and add the proper amount so as to not run it either over or under full...what is the proper amount to add when changing the oil?

Lastly, are there any on-line downloadable manuals that I might find so I don't have to ask what must seem to the group as mundane questions? Thanks again...Bob