315 Tranny/clutch Fluids Elf Vs Silk Vs Atf

jcbrewer

Hey,

I've got a new to me '00 Cota 315r and am changing all the fluids. The manual says to use ELF HTX 740 in the gearbox/clutch, and I've seen on this site that Silkolene SRG75 is a suitable replacement. Both are hard to find around here.

I saw in an older post that some guys run ATF in their 315's and was wondering what's the concensus on this? What kind of ATF and does it do the job, or should I track down the other stuff?

When I drained the old fluid it was sort of a clearish color and smelled like gear oil - but the clutch has been working great.

-John

Good question. I'll be interested to see what people think as well. I've always used the Elf oil mail-order from BVM and never had a problem. I understand from a previous owner of my bike that it's had a new clutch at some point, although I don't know whether it's a Honda one or a pattern one. It can be a bit grabby on occasions and changing the oil definitely makes it smoother.

The Castrol 'Edge' (Gold Bottle) 10W40 is easy to find and recommended by Sandifords. Bit pricey though so I sometimes use the PJ1 Clutch Tuner Oil which works fine. Best clutch 'feel' in my opinion comes from the ELF stuff but I always forget to mail order it and end up buying something else the day before a trial!

The Castrol 'Edge' (Gold Bottle) 10W40 is easy to find and recommended by Sandifords. Bit pricey though so I sometimes use the PJ1 Clutch Tuner Oil which works fine. Best clutch 'feel' in my opinion comes from the ELF stuff but I always forget to mail order it and end up buying something else the day before a trial!

I'm in the states and I've never heard of Castrol Edge. I looked on their website and all I could find was Castrol Syntec which was marketed under "The Castrol Syntec Edge." It is a fully synthetic motor oil. And I think it's in a black bottle with a green label. Is that what you are talking about?

If I put something in there that I don't like the feel of, will it flush out with the next change, or do the clutch discs absorb the oil and screw things up over the long haul?

Edited by JCBrewer

If I put something in there that I don't like the feel of, will it flush out with the next change, or do the clutch discs absorb the oil and screw things up over the long haul?

Nope. It will flush out as it always has for me.

Try synthetic ATF or III ATF it is great and is cheep

• 4 weeks later...

Nope. It will flush out as it always has for me.

Try synthetic ATF or III ATF it is great and is cheep

Yep, Ive used Ford synthetic ATF from Halfords and it's fine...usual warm up problems but when you've gone through the box once it never plays up again

Edited by 04r1